Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-08-2010, 10:02 PM

ner'T' is on a distinguished road

Wow, great looking tank, very clean.

I have the same stand and a regular 37 gallon column tank. I found the clear glass looked a little plain/revealed the junk on the shelf too much... I sand blasted the glass to make it etched or frosted. I like the way it looks now.

Good work and I might have to get that fan too, to cool my 250 MH!

Cheers!
Old 05-09-2010, 03:10 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys!

Yes I plan to either spray the glass with the frosting, apply that frosting sheet stuff or paint the glass some colour but not sure which. The pane is held in place by those terribly flimsy clips as you know. My son is always leaning on it and some have broken and the pane is very loose. Have you done anything to secure it better? Really I wish it was a wood panel like the sides...
Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
He was actually referring to your back side Josh.. I dunno, maybe he found some racy pictures of you or something ? Or maybe you guys are up to something ? Joshy got back? ..

Jesus. i leave the site for a week and a half and the one time i get a joke made on me i can't even fight back!... unfair!

Moving on.

Tank is looking good. did you order the tunze collection cup from in-tank? how are you finding the skimmate production?
Old 05-09-2010, 03:12 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Photo dump!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:32 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

great pic.'s
Old 05-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezetyle View Post
did you order the tunze collection cup from in-tank? how are you finding the skimmate production?
Yes I have the collection cup on there. Here's a pic from page one of the thread.

The skimmate has been really wet...just a light tea colour so far although I'm starting to get some darker brown collecting on the riser tube. The trouble so far is that it's breaking in still I think and now my return pump wouldn't startup after my waterchange. This meant using the stock pump again so the water level changed due to the increased flow which upset the darn thing.

I'm not expecting dark skimmate and from what I've read I'm not going to get that from this skimmer. All I know is that I'll be glad it takes anything at all out. Even when it's light in colour I always think about how I wouldn't want to dump it back in the tank. With time it should pull better as I tune it more.

My 5 gallon water changes every week do far more than any skimmer could but I like the added security.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Fantastic photos Brett! But next time can you give the Emerald a chance to shave her legs first.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:26 PM

Yes, those clips to hold the pane in are junk.

I ran a 1" long bead of silicone, (top bottom & sides), on the inside to secure it. If I ever need to remove it, it I will only have to slice the little blobs of silicone

Cheers
Old 05-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Fantastic photos Brett! But next time can you give the Emerald a chance to shave her legs first.
Haha thanks. Yeah she's a bit of a dirty girl. The hermits are into it so I don't expect her to shave those things.

When I got her she had these super tiny little....bugs...mites? They would circle around her body and claws at damn near the speed of light it was crazy. I've done some reading and others have noticed these as well. They are either all red or all white. Not redbugs no doubt about that. Anyways post molt...they are all gone. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ner'T' View Post
I ran a 1" long bead of silicone, (top bottom & sides), on the inside to secure it. If I ever need to remove it, it I will only have to slice the little blobs of silicone
Hey great idea. So the hold is strong? You don't mean a continuous bead but just one up top...one down below? I need my fix to hold against my son leaning on it.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:42 PM

"Hey great idea. So the hold is strong? You don't mean a continuous bead but just one up top...one down below? I need my fix to hold against my son leaning on it."

Well its plenty strong to hold glass in, (non-continuous bead). It might be better it if let go,(broke free from door), rather then your son putting his arm through it when it stays in place and breaks. It is thin un-tempered glass and could really cause some bad cuts.