Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia

Old 04-02-2017, 10:13 PM
LOVES STAR WARS... mostly Ewoks and Porgs.

hunggi74 is on a distinguished road
Default AEFW WARNING

Fellow hobbyists, there is a certain very well know seller of corals in the GVRD that is knowingly selling their wares to the public even though they know they have AEFW.

This worm is the bane and worst nightmare of any SPS tank owner. You risk infecting your corals and losing hundreds if not thousands of dollars if you do not know they are in your system or do not treat them.

As someone who had them and treated for them, I can tell you first hand it is not fun. 8-12 weeks of frags in a separate tank without rock and weekly dippings is recommended. Plus you need to inspect each frag base for eggs that may have been laid. And it's still not a guarantee that you are home free.

That's why it ****es me off to hear that someone could knowingly, intentionally, callously sell their frags to someone else without at least telling them about their AEFW issue. There is never only one worm. You find even one you know to assume you have more.

Everyone buying SPS corals should be dipping and inspecting their frags before putting them into their system. Don't be naive like me and do a half ass job of it either. Do it right. Revive, Bayer, Coral Rx all work.

To the individual selling these infected corals...I understand you will lose a lot of money if you tell prospective buyers of your AEFW issue. But you have to feel some guilt do you not for the potential damage you could be doing to this person's tank and the hobby itself. It's people like you that make new hobbyist wary and quit and makes experienced hobbyist despise you.

Be a stand up individual and at the very least tell people you have AEFW and let them decide if they want to risk adding your stuff to their tanks.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

This claim has been checked 100% to be true.
This warning is seen as a public service announcement.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:47 AM

input80 is on a distinguished road

Just my 2 cents (question/concern), if it it 100% true, why not announce who it is. This would serve as a warning to ppl that have bought corals & let them start taking precautions immediately?
Old 04-03-2017, 02:02 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by input80 View Post
Just my 2 cents (question/concern), if it it 100% true, why not announce who it is. This would serve as a warning to ppl that have bought corals & let them start taking precautions immediately?
I agree, not much help to anyone the way it is. I guess just don't trust anyone selling coral in the GVRD area for awhile.

Last edited by intarsiabox; 04-03-2017 at 02:05 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:12 AM

dino is on a distinguished road

Personally I would ask them to stop or tell on the add that this is the case. And if they want to be dishonest then spread the word as you have tried. But we always have two side to every story and I would like to think most are honest on this site

Last edited by dino; 04-03-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:19 AM

input80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Personally I would ask them to stop or tell on the add that this is the case. And if they want to be dishonest then spread the word as you have tried
Problem is that some ppl have most likely bought from this (trusted) seller & placed them in their tanks. The infestation has most likely started.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:37 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Now you got everybody who has purchased acro's from anyone in the lower mainland frantically inspecting their tank for something that is almost impossible to see.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:55 AM

Tigweldpro is on a distinguished road

Just checked my tank...... still empty! phew close one

But really the "infector" should be exposed! for the sake of the hobby
Old 04-03-2017, 03:58 AM

crimper is on a distinguished road

If this is verified I dont see any harm of naming it. Everybody needs to know before their precious coral collections get wipe out.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:21 AM

Moogled is on a distinguished road

Mods typically don't like things to be publicly announced as it could place Canreef as a liability.

Therefore, if you have an issue it is probably best to PM the OP for the name of the seller.