Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-29-2014, 06:50 PM

Flash is on a distinguished road

i would say one smaller tang, no fox faces, and careful on the mystery... i know it's fish by fish basis, but the last two i had were complete jerks. so much so I tore down one of my tanks to get the dang fish out and it has lived in my sump ever since.

Carpet surfing with wrasses is the norm... a screen or lid will be needed for sure! also look at other fairy wrasses, solar wrasse, tri-color wrasse ect!

with the cardinal, look at getting at least 2 of them, no more then 4!

Fb- edmonton fish coral and hardware buy and sell!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:25 PM

silvercharm is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Lots of interesting ideas and things I hadn't though of before. Why do some say ok to a small tang (kole or tomini) but no to the One Spot Foxface? Just curious as according to the internet anyway they are supposed to mature at around the same size. What is it about the foxface that makes it different? Thanks for the insight, its all been really interesting and informative so far.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:20 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Kole & Tomini tangs tend to grow slowly and stay much smaller than the listed max. size. Most Koles & Tominis I have seen never grow much more than 3 or 4", even if the max. is 6".

Foxfaces & other rabbitfish grow much faster and will outgrow your tank literally in just months. They also eat & poop more compared to a Kole or Tomini. The One Spot has a listed max. of 7" but finding 6" adults is quite common. The Magnificent Foxface has a listed max. of 9" and most of the ones I've seen in people's tanks are between 7-9".

If you were to compare someone's Kole and Foxface after say 3 years, the Foxface would likely be 2 or 3 times the size/mass of the Kole. And a more voracious feeder. In its native waters, rabbitfish are considered "food fish", whereas Koles and Tominis are among the smallest tangs and less likely to be considered food for the native peoples, when they can have a more substantial meal with any other tang or rabbitfish.

Also, the Foxface has "poisonous" spines on its dorsal fin and can gash your hand quite easily, leaving you with a painful wound. Something else to consider when deciding your fish stock.

My rabbitfish will rip the entire nori sheet off the clip and swim around the tank eating its' "snack".

Anthony

Last edited by SeaHorse_Fanatic; 12-30-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercharm View Post
Why do some say ok to a small tang (kole or tomini) but no to the One Spot Foxface?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
Kole & Tomini tangs tend to grow slowly and stay much smaller than the listed max. size. Most Koles & Tominis I have seen never grow much more than 3 or 4", even if the max. is 6".

Foxfaces & other rabbitfish grow much faster and will outgrow your tank literally in just months. They also eat & poop more compared to a Kole or Tomini. The One Spot has a listed max. of 7" but finding 6" adults is quite common. The Magnificent Foxface has a listed max. of 9" and most of the ones I've seen in people's tanks are between 7-9".

Anthony
Agreed.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:31 AM

silvercharm is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. This has really helped point me in the right direction and I'll take all your advice to heart!