Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-16-2020, 11:45 PM
Gold Member

smokinreefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smokinreefer

Thats too bad about the shrimp and goby. Always sucks.

But glad to hear about your good experience with Vibrant.

Keep on doing what your doing! Except maybe get that ATO up!
Old 05-17-2020, 08:20 PM

crimper is on a distinguished road

Sorry that you lost your shrimp, not a goid timing as there is nothinh on LFS because of the virus.

Goid to hear that Vibrant worked on your battle with bryopsis. It didn't work on mine a couple of years ago, however Fluconazole wiped them out.

Keep doing what works for you. Keep on reefing
Old 05-17-2020, 09:13 PM

Dash is on a distinguished road

It does take a leap of faith to try something like Vibrant & fluconazole. You’ll read so many success stories but also others who experienced coral/livestock loss. Every tank is so different. I’m very hesitant to treat the tank, preferring a more “natural” approach, and I was plenty nervous adding that first dose. But the bryopsis was so bad, I felt I had to take a chance. It does cause an imbalance in the tank. I have some cyano & a few small bits of dino for the first time, but I think I can take care of this more easily and let the tank slowly get back to a better place.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:02 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so sorry to hear about Snape and Blondie. I remember watching them for a long time when we came to see your tank and they were such a cool (and busy) pair!

I feel bad that you had given me medications that you may have needed for Snape.

Pictures don't do this tank justice, it is really beautiful and meticulously cared for.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:03 PM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Sorry for your loss, and glad to hear about the Vibrant!
Old 05-23-2020, 06:34 AM

Thanks for understanding you guys - my husband/daughter try to make an effort but I know my hobby is a bit of a mystery to them lol. It was hard to lose this pair. I remember I had to peek around the door the first few weeks as they would hide if I came near. So exciting those early days when everything was a wonder.

Justin, don’t feel bad. The meds weren’t an issue. I really feel the only chance I had would have been to get Snape a new shrimp which sadly was not possible. (Not sure what the life span of this type of shrimp is.) Snape’s symptoms were all borne out of his stress, even the clouded eye (which the Furan easily took care of). He didn’t want to eat. He was young when I got him so basically he had the shrimp most of his life.
Btw how’s your puffer? Hope he’s well.

Warren, the Vibrant treatment reminded me of your tank because I was wondering if it would work on bubble algae. (Sorry to bring that up lol). I saw one big single bubble on a rock & left it there to see what would happen. Different algae disappeared but not the bubble, and finally I manually removed it.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:59 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Justin, don’t feel bad. The meds weren’t an issue. I really feel the only chance I had would have been to get Snape a new shrimp which sadly was not possible. (Not sure what the life span of this type of shrimp is.) Snape’s symptoms were all borne out of his stress, even the clouded eye (which the Furan easily took care of). He didn’t want to eat. He was young when I got him so basically he had the shrimp most of his life.
Btw how’s your puffer? Hope he’s well.
Oh, that is really sad.

The puffer is good, she ended up being named Moana haha, and I say 'she' because right after Moana recovered from internal parasites, she laid eggs! Thousands of tiny eggs.

Thank you again, without the meds she wouldn't have survived.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Oh, that is really sad.

The puffer is good, she ended up being named Moana haha, and I say 'she' because right after Moana recovered from internal parasites, she laid eggs! Thousands of tiny eggs.

Thank you again, without the meds she wouldn't have survived.
What. That’s fantastic. Never heard of them laying eggs before. I think my puffer pair are male/female as they don’t fight, but unfortunately GSPs go into freshwater streams to lay eggs.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:27 AM

It's been a bit quiet around here...
Well, 2020 has been lousy all around so far. Aside from all the troubling stuff going on in the world, my tank has not been at its best. The first two years breezed by seemingly without a care in the world. This year, I had algae issues for the first time, and lost fish. However, after endless days of blowing the rocks & vacuuming the sand, the tank looks presentable again. There are spots of green cyano that still pop up, and a couple of my SPS lost some branches, but all in all I'm feeling optimistic. Here are a few shots of the fellows that keep this hobby fun...

My anemones do weird things to confuse the clowns. During dinner, when powerheads are off, the main disk swells up to a crazy size and the tentacles shrink to skinny little things. Clowns hate it and feel exposed.

At night, sometimes they do this, which drives the clowns to distraction

I got bored or something, so decided to do this. Hope it will cover the statue completely one day

Petey looks pretty sharp, I think. He is a model citizen.

Gary checking out the new gorgonian. He always photobombs

Gotta love this guy. Walt is the best looking fish ever (in his own mind)
Old 09-18-2020, 10:35 PM

I'm really smitten with my new coral, a Sunset fungia from Canada Corals. He opened up right away and has such beautiful colour. This might kick off an LPS obsession. I hope he continues to be pretty low maintenance.