Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-04-2016, 08:57 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default The Mac

What is happening in Fort Mac right now is tragic and heroic at the same time triggering the largest fire evacuation in Canadian history (Barriere fires of 2003 had been the largest until now) with many tales of sadness and hope already emerging bringing some joy and hurt all at once.

For those that will be coming back after the evacuation is rescinded they will face uncertainty and desolation beyond imagining similar to what my parents faced in the Barriere fire one thing that helped them through it was the fact that they had a pet to hug which many people will need animals have a calming effect on people but the one thing that will hurt is for those whose homes are intact is if they had aquariums or reptiles or anything else for these people they will come back most likely to dead or dying systems and will face another level of sadness for some this may sound trivial to worry about fish or reptiles but for many they are family members as well which adds another level to their pain on returning losing them to fires is one thing but losing them to outside forces is another thing.

Sorry if I rambled but one of the pictures I saw was of an aquarium full of fresh water fish being left behind to an uncertain future I'm sure more than a few here can understand that feeling hopefully there is a way for this community to help out
Old 05-06-2016, 03:09 AM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

Good luck to all the evacuees and sympathies to those who have lost their homes and precious belongings. Please donate to the Red Cross.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:18 AM
No Cookies

An acquaintance of mine and his wife packed up their 3 dogs (2 border collies and a husky) and 2 of his cats last night and headed to Alberta and to the evacuation centres to let people hold and hug and pet his animals and give them at least a little bit of peace and solstice in this time of need and is bringing a truckload of kid and animal toys for the displaced.

They took time off work to do this because it was the only way they felt they could help
Old 05-06-2016, 03:21 AM

That is awesome! Especially for the confused and dazed children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
An acquaintance of mine and his wife packed up their 3 dogs (2 border collies and a husky) and 2 of his cats last night and headed to Alberta and to the evacuation centres to let people hold and hug and pet his animals and give them at least a little bit of peace and solstice in this time of need and is bringing a truckload of kid and animal toys for the displaced.

They took time off work to do this because it was the only way they felt they could help
Old 05-06-2016, 04:27 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post

Awww...that's pretty sweet. I hope there is room for them though...they'll need somewhere to stay too!

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:01 PM
No Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Awww...that's pretty sweet. I hope there is room for them though...they'll need somewhere to stay too!
Found out from their daughter late last night actually early this morning (2ish) that they took their travel trailer and when they stopped in Jasper for lunch and fuel the locals found out what they were doing showed up with toys and books that they loaded into the trailer and when they were leaving Jasper they were told to stop in Edson for more donations.

They stopped at the Rextall centre and while they weren't allowed in for obvious reasons they left about half the kids toys and about a quarter of the animal toys at the centre and spent all day long letting the kids play with the dogs and the adults petting the cats and listening to the stories and getting hugs from the evacuees with gratuitous thank you's as well and there were so many volunteers there from all over Alberta and Canada as well.

They are driving up to Lac La Biche today to deliver more toys and bring some much needed release of emotions
Old 05-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Sounds like a good trip, and a good experience for the kids too.

The local radio group called Rawlco Radio amassed almost $750,000 in cash donations in a single day Radiothon called Saskatoon Day of Caring.

http://cjme.com/article/625519/donat...-fort-mcmurray

https://www.facebook.com/rock102rocks

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:33 PM

Someones home burning up caught live from inside on a security camera. Heart wrenching.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
Someones home burning up caught live from inside on a security camera. Heart wrenching.
Omg...could you imagine watching that??? Makes me sick! His poor fishies too.

SPS fanatic.