Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 PM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road
Default AHHHH!!! I have Ich

Heres the situation, I have a 60gal reef tank with way to much rock work and soft corals to get my fish out and into a hospital tank. My powder brown tang came down with ich and has sence gave it to a few other members of my tank (coral beauty, clowns, foxface) I have turned the temp up to 82deg and have used a product called "Paracide Green" twice now and havent noticed any improvement. I don't want to kill my corals and don't want to loose my fish what else can i try

Thanx for your help
Chris
Old 12-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

dabandit is on a distinguished road

cleaner shrimp I think they are called,I've never tried but I remember hearing they will eat? the i.c.k
Old 12-15-2008, 03:58 PM

I have 1 in there, should i get another one today?
Old 12-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Chris, there are lots of threads existing on ich here, do a quick search and you should find something. Maybe search for garlic as well...
Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

First of all you can turn your heater back down. Temperature doesnt speed up the life cycle of the ich parasite like it does with fresh water ich. There are several "reef safe" ich cures on the market(kick ich, no sick fish, prazi pro(I think thats what its called)) that have worked for some. None have worked for me personally. If you dont have alot of coral you could house it temporarily in a rubbermaid and try hypo-salinity in the display. Garlic and a good vitamin like selcon in the food will help increase the fishes chances of fighting it off. Best of luck.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Banned

Sorry man I dont know anything about the shrimp,I've never had ick. I did have a fish showing a couple spots once and the garlic extract as mentioned above cleared it right up. Heck I'd be curious to know if the shrimp works,let me know how he's doing. I know everyone will disagree with me but I dont believe in quarantine,netting a sick fish and changing the water parameters even slightlly puts alot of stress on a fish that cant deal with it,but thats just an opinion
I feel for you,watching your fish die never gets any easier
Old 12-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Banned

I have heard though that increasing the number of shrimp in your tank will induce more active behavior and less hiding.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:11 PM

when the tan first started showing a few spots the shrimp seemed to be eating them off, but now the tang doesn't seem to visit him as often.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM

robzilla is on a distinguished road

i've got a bottle of garlic xtreme if you need. and selcon

Last edited by robzilla; 12-15-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:26 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

The ONLY ways to completely eliminate ich are hyposalinity or copper. Neither of which are particularly agreeable to anything else in your display tank. Garlic will help stimulate a feeding response and a fish that eats may be able to fight it off temporarily but you will then always have Ich in your display.

The best solution is for you to now remove ALL the fish from the display into a quarantine tank and treat with either hyposalinity or copper.

The other route would be to remove all coral, live rock, sand and invertebrates into a rubbermaid tub and apply the hyposalinity treatment to the display. DO NOT use copper in your display as it will leave traces that linger and cause problems for ages.

Either route you choose, the fish and everything else should be kept seperate for 6-8 weeks to allow the Ich parasites to go through their life cycle. That means no fish at all in with your liverock, sandbed, corals, etc. Once you have completely eliminated Ich from your system QUARANTINE everything properly before it goes into your tank and you won't ever have this problem again!

Good luck