Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-27-2016, 03:30 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Going to Riviera Maya

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...ace-deluxe.jpg

Who else has ever been to this part of the world? Looking forward to snorkeling some of the reefs.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:40 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

We went to Cozumel a few years back. The reefs are beautiful. Not as many fish as Hawaii, but tonnes of seafans and sponges, Barracuda, and LIONFISH (bastards). I haven't been to mainland Mexico. Some people say the day trip to Cozumel from the mainland for diving or snorkeling is too arduous, but most people say it's totally worth it.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:17 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

Where abouts are you staying.....close to Playa Del Carmen or? There is a sweet bay you need to check out..... Akamal Beach. Always sea turtles there..... seen an eagle ray and squid...tons of fish.....PM me if you want any other info for the area. Cozumel has awesome snorkeling...
Old 01-27-2016, 06:31 PM

Ryanv is on a distinguished road

I was just in that area for the second time a couple weeks ago. I also went to Xel-Ha for the first time. There was decent snorkeling there with big groupers, barracudas, and rays, but I didn't see any turtles. Unfortunately, the cove got kinda cloudy by the afternoon due to all the people stirring up sand and such.

Some resorts have nice coves where you can find sea turtles but, if not, definitely go on a snorkeling excursion to see some sea turtles. You'll probably find a dive shop or two on that resort that can set something up for you.

I've gone diving in the area too but there's often more interesting stuff to see closer to the shore so you can have just as much fun snorkeling.

Hide a bun or two in a zip-lock bag and pull it out to feed the fishes when you're in the open water. They'll follow you around afterwards. Makes for good video too!

Be careful though. The chubbs may bite your fingers.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:46 PM

shiftline is on a distinguished road

I have been there a few times! What resort are you staying at? I have ever diving in playa deal Carmen and snorkelled some cnotes (dos ohos). Xel ha and random beaches. Lots of grey stuff to see there
Old 01-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
We went to Cozumel a few years back. The reefs are beautiful. Not as many fish as Hawaii, but tonnes of seafans and sponges, Barracuda, and LIONFISH (bastards). I haven't been to mainland Mexico. Some people say the day trip to Cozumel from the mainland for diving or snorkeling is too arduous, but most people say it's totally worth it.
Where do you stay in Cozumel?
Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

+1 to Akumal. Saw lots of turtles there. And if you swim far out, to the breakers, there is a lot of of life. Saw a basking shark.
Don't remember the name of the beach, but its in front of a dive shop, lol
Also nice ruins to see at Tulum. Bring your snorkel and fins with you there, as there are some reefs to swim at. I didn't know that so didn't have my bathing suit.
Where are you staying?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:41 PM

Apo Reefer is on a distinguished road

Snorkeling in Cozumel is nice but I love Isla Mojeres.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:45 PM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

I would recommend doing a snorkel or dive in a cenote. Was one of the coolest things we did.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:16 AM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC564 View Post
Where abouts are you staying.....close to Playa Del Carmen or? There is a sweet bay you need to check out..... Akamal Beach. Always sea turtles there..... seen an eagle ray and squid...tons of fish.....PM me if you want any other info for the area. Cozumel has awesome snorkeling...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftline View Post
I have been there a few times! What resort are you staying at? I have ever diving in playa deal Carmen and snorkelled some cnotes (dos ohos). Xel ha and random beaches. Lots of grey stuff to see there
We are staying at Barceló Maya beach resort, it was recommend by my mechanic he's been going there for 10 years and says it's one of the best along there.
We are going to Xcaret to do a day of river floating and snorkeling sounds like an awesome place.