Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 PM

Roskoreef is on a distinguished road
Default Anybody have any interceptor or sentinel????

as title says, i suspect i may have some red bugs and i want to treat my tank just in case as a recent alk swing has a few of my acros stning, i want to rule out red bugs but my vet wont give me any cause shes a **** and doesnt beleive that people use these meds for reefs.

In calgary will pay for shipping....
Old 11-28-2015, 02:49 PM

e46er is on a distinguished road

a vet will probably sell them to you if you explain what they are for. maybe print off some info off the net showing them your intended use and your not just out of your mind.

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 11-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Howie is on a distinguished road

Dewinton pet hospital is suppose to be really good and they deal with alot of exotic pets. Maybe they would help you out. Goodluck

Howie's 82g Tank Journal
Old 11-28-2015, 03:47 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

If it didn't cost a fortune in the first place and I didn't actually use it for my dog I would sell you my sentinel
They don't make interceptor anymore.
Perhaps Heartguard? I'm not sure what the active drug is that you're looking for to kill the bugs. Does the added med in sentinel for fleas affect the reef In a negative way since everyone used to use interceptor and that doesn't have the flea portion in it....

The problem is legally vets cant dispense it with out seeing the animal. As they should technically be doing a heartworm test on the dog before prescribing the med. As giving an animal who has heartworms, a heartworm type med like revolution or sentinel will kill the dog.
So the ones who aren't selling it to you aren't being turds, they just don't want to risk their license.
However if you do phone around im sure one vet is bound to sell you something. Even post an ad on craigslist saying you're looking for a single tablet.
I used to always see people selling tubes of revolution on CL, im sure somebody would be bound to part with a single sentinel.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:11 PM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

Interceptor (milbemycin oxime) is either back on the market or coming back soon... http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=35393
I could get you some Sentinel and send it to you if you can't source it there
Old 11-28-2015, 04:56 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskoreef View Post
as title says, i suspect i may have some red bugs and i want to treat my tank just in case as a recent alk swing has a few of my acros stning, i want to rule out red bugs
IME, red bugs don't cause STN. I wouldn't treat a tank for red bugs without confirmation of an infestation. The medication will kill off all your pods and any crabs you have. It's not something I would do prophylactically. Get someone to check your tank for you that has seen them before. Once you've seen them before, it's much easier to spot them.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:33 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

You don't have to suspect that you have red bugs, you can easily find out. I know you have a decent DSLR, you can use that to take some macros of your colonies. Zooming in will reveal the red bugs. Sometimes you can even see them without zooming in ! Tiny red specs on your colonies. Yes, I speak from experience.

And in my past experience, NO vet would ever give me interceptor. I tried LOTS. Even exotic pet vets in Calgary. They all turned me away. If I recall correctly you need(ed) a prescription (for your dog) for interceptor, so for you to walk in and ask for it for your fish tank is probably not kosher with that. I don't blame them, they are doctors after all.

I ended up obtaining interceptor from a friend who owned a dog. That's probably your best bet if they still sell interceptor. There are supposedly natural possibilities like pipefish.

When I had red bugs I had it for a long time and as Mindy said, it never caused STN in my colonies. It took me a long long time to find interceptor so just lived with it for a while and it was fine, I think. Just in case, I recommend setting up a prayer reactor.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:40 PM

ClubReef is on a distinguished road

Just get yourself some Milbemax Large Cat at this singapore website...they will deliver to Calgary:

https://www.ourpetworld.net/milbemax...wo-tablet-pack

16mg of Milbemycin Oxime (active ingredient that kills red bugs)
40mg of praziquantel
Old 11-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
Interceptor (milbemycin oxime) is either back on the market or coming back soon... http://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=35393
I could get you some Sentinel and send it to you if you can't source it there
Thats great for americans but Virbac aquired sentinel and sentinel spectrum not the same company that bought out that portion of novartis. So americans might get interceptor but Canada is SOL.
Interceptor will not be coming back within any forseeable future....
Old 11-28-2015, 09:53 PM

Roskoreef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
You don't have to suspect that you have red bugs, you can easily find out. I know you have a decent DSLR, you can use that to take some macros of your colonies. Zooming in will reveal the red bugs. Sometimes you can even see them without zooming in ! Tiny red specs on your colonies. Yes, I speak from experience.

And in my past experience, NO vet would ever give me interceptor. I tried LOTS. Even exotic pet vets in Calgary. They all turned me away. If I recall correctly you need(ed) a prescription (for your dog) for interceptor, so for you to walk in and ask for it for your fish tank is probably not kosher with that. I don't blame them, they are doctors after all.

I ended up obtaining interceptor from a friend who owned a dog. That's probably your best bet if they still sell interceptor. There are supposedly natural possibilities like pipefish.

When I had red bugs I had it for a long time and as Mindy said, it never caused STN in my colonies. It took me a long long time to find interceptor so just lived with it for a while and it was fine, I think. Just in case, I recommend setting up a prayer reactor.
Well that was actually sort of fun, now all i want is a full frame camera and a better macro lens....dammit.

Got some ok shots of these pests, also some other creatures aswell! they seem to be the stn clean up crew so far...these purple little bugs are nesting at the bases of frags and colonies but none on healthy corals.

they could also be demons from hell...hopefully i can get some form of milbemycin oxime soon, greatful for these forums, have a few leads..setting up a prayer reactor tonight, did my research and i am certain the technology is solid. oooh look eggs!