Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 AM

craigwmiller is on a distinguished road
Default Help with head?

Not quite sure how to phrase that subject while making it as comical (yet appropriate) as possible....

Anyways, I'm looking for experience someone has with specific pumps running in a high-head environment. Specifically 12.5' vertical, 24' spaflex hose, 2 ball valves, no 90's, no T's. (so let's call it 15-18' of dynamic head). output into tank is 1", but some of the flex/connection might be 1.5".

I currently have tried a Speedwave DC-10000, and it's getting about 300 gallons/hour, and it's not too happy about it. Ideally it would be something in the 1000-1500 gallons/hour range at head.

I am curious to know feedback on someone using:

- DC-12000 (Waveline or Jebao) (24V DC is my preference)
- Sedra KSP-20000
- Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One 9000

Something else good you recommend? (internal pump only please)

(also, something in Edmonton (used or new) available/in-stock, or shippable to Edmonton by say Tuesday/Wednesday?)

Thanks!
Craig
Old 04-27-2014, 04:01 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Have you looked at this calculator ?

It doesn't list the Quiet One 9000, but does the 6000 and many other similar pumps
Old 04-27-2014, 01:55 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

I think you'll find most pumps that deal well with that amount of head pressure will be of the 'external' kind and generally AC voltage. Panworld, Blueline, Iwaki come to mind. Look for a pressure biased pump as opposed to a flow biased pump. Good luck finding an internal DC pump that's pressure biased, if you find something I'm sure there will be plenty of other folks interested. I know I wouldn't be too keen on a large 120VAC pump submerged in the water 24/7/365. All that voltage & power would scare the crap out of me.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:59 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

For that kind of head I really think a external AC pump is the answer. You'll get more then enough power and the DC pump rating seem very 'off' once any amount of head like your talking comes into play.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

Yep what he said above me^^
Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

I use the Sedra 20000, specifically because of its superior head pressure. I have a basement sump, and this single pump not only returns water to my 100g upstairs pump but also to another 130g downstairs tank behind an adjacent wall, as well as Ts to my GFO and carbon reactors, chiller and bio pellet reactor. Hence I have only 2 pumps in my sump, my single purpose skimmer pump, and the Sedra that does everything else.

I tried the big mag pumps but they didn't have enough head pressure and needed multiple pumps, and still had less flow overall.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:05 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Running basement sump and was getting all exciting when the DC pumps came out but seemed the 10000 series wasn't high enough head. The DC12000 was hyped as the solution but from all my reading seems not suitable either, then there's the reliability issues.

Doesn't look good for DC internal pumps at least the ones from China,
might have better luck with the Blue Eco series.