Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Contest 2012

Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

very nice indeed
Old 09-18-2012, 02:57 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acipenser View Post

sump
What size is your sump? Keep in mind we're only allowed 20g total water volume including display/sump/skimmer
Old 09-18-2012, 04:03 AM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Hmm. Based on the photo, you're going to need to run the skimmer in your display. The water level for the skimmer should be about half way up the vents on the front at that top.

And, remember that you're going to have to leave enough room in the sump for the water to drain from the display in the event of a power/return pump failure (or if you just decide to turn the pump off). You can limit the backflow by ensuring that your returns are above the water in the display.

You may be able to fab something up that will let you use the skimmer in the sump, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how it could be done.

You can check glass-holes.com for your holesaw. I've ordered from them in the past, and I've been pretty pleased with their products.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:14 AM

Oh, I just had an idea. You could purchase an aquarium that is taller, and partition off a portion of it to ensure that your system meets the contest guidelines for volume. You could then use the partitioned off area for a fresh water reservoir if you build an ATO. That could leave you squeezing your equipment into a pretty small footprint, but it would keep all of the equipment in the sump.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 AM

Acipenser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Oh, I just had an idea. You could purchase an aquarium that is taller, and partition off a portion of it to ensure that your system meets the contest guidelines for volume. You could then use the partitioned off area for a fresh water reservoir if you build an ATO. That could leave you squeezing your equipment into a pretty small footprint, but it would keep all of the equipment in the sump.
Yes I have been thinking along those lines as well I am considering a 10G tank and only using half of it for the time being or picking up a different skimmer or I have even considered some sort of extension for the slim skim chamber or maybe modifying the slim skim itself. I may just build a skimmer while I am at it.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
What size is your sump? Keep in mind we're only allowed 20g total water volume including display/sump/skimmer
sump is 5.5g , there will be less than 3g in it.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Yes I have been thinking along those lines as well I am considering a 10G tank and only using half of it for the time being or picking up a different skimmer or I have even considered some sort of extension for the slim skim chamber or maybe modifying the slim skim itself. I may just build a skimmer while I am at it.
Modifying the skimmer might work: either by somehow moving the cup down closer to the bubble chamber, or by moving the pump and bubble chamber up and shortening the case from the bottom. I'm not that handy, I don't think, so I never even considered modding the skimmer itself.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
sump is 5.5g , there will be less than 3g in it.
Cool, it looked bigger in the pic
Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

a post has been made in all the contest forumns regarding contest rules via the timeline, everyone should read this post as there seems to be some confusion.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:05 AM

Default Drilled my tank ! FINALLY !

So after driving around and not being able to find the 1 1/16 bit and not wanting to wait any further I went to princess auto and picked up the 1 1/4 inch diamond hole saw and mandrel total price was about $11 extra hole saws will be about $8 the first hole I burned thru the glass pretty fast second and third holes were a little slower. The 1 1/4 hole is quite a bit bigger but the bulk heads can easily be positioned. I also started to mock up the corner over flow with card board so I can get the glass cut.