Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Landlord wants my tank out!

So my landlord came in today to renew the contract. The landlady is fine with the tank but landlord wants it out. I have told them that I have put in too much effort on this one and if this is going out, I am going out.

Landlady was asking landlord that he is just student and a good tenant, don't do this to him. But the guy said that it is his house, his business and he doesn't care whether I am a student or not. Alongside, he also wants to increase the rent by $250!

So I said that I am not going to let this tank go and won't sign contact.

Time to find a tank friendly and student friendly home. So much for being a good tenant who pays on 1st of each month, kept everything clean and tidy and never caused any problem. Awesome landlord

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
So my landlord came in today to renew the contract. The landlady is fine with the tank but landlord wants it out. I have told them that I have put in too much effort on this one and if this is going out, I am going out.

Landlady was asking landlord that he is just student and a good tenant, don't do this to him. But the guy said that it is his house, his business and he doesn't care whether I am a student or not. Alongside, he also wants to increase the rent by $250!

So I said that I am not going to let this tank go and won't sign contact.

Time to find a tank friendly and student friendly home. So much for being a good tenant who pays on 1st of each month, kept everything clean and tidy and never caused any problem. Awesome landlord
They may have a government departmen that covers landlord tenant disputes. Phone them and ask them for their advice on the tank and whether the landlord can raise the rent that much
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
They may have a government departmen that covers landlord tenant disputes. Phone them and ask them for their advice on the tank and whether the landlord can raise the rent that much
I don't think it will help. Its like "no-pet" allowed policy or something. Its his house and he can make whatever rule he likes regarding this. Plus he is giving me a 4 months notice too. So literally there's no hole. I read through the bylaws since I knew this was going to happen and nothing will work.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

sorry to hear man. hope you find a new place in time and things go smoothly. this is brutal.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
sorry to hear man. hope you find a new place in time and things go smoothly. this is brutal.
Yah I know I still got 4 months so hoping to find a aquarium friendly house. Let's see........

Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

In terms of the rent, he is only allowed to raise the rent a certain percentage every year if you are an existing tenant (at least in BC). My landlord does ~4% per year, but only does 2% for me because I take care of his house (ie. I do all the gardening, etc). Unless you live in a really pricey place (but I assume not because you're a student), $250 is rediculous.

Even if you convinced the landlord to not raise the rent and let you keep the tank, I'd still go. He'd never really feel happy with the situation and probably make the living arrangement uncomfortable. As it is he sounds like a bit of a dink .

Time to go find a sweet new place!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
In terms of the rent, he is only allowed to raise the rent a certain percentage every year if you are an existing tenant (at least in BC). My landlord does ~4% per year, but only does 2% for me because I take care of his house (ie. I do all the gardening, etc). Unless you live in a really pricey place (but I assume not because you're a student), $250 is rediculous.

Even if you convinced the landlord to not raise the rent and let you keep the tank, I'd still go. He'd never really feel happy with the situation and probably make the living arrangement uncomfortable. As it is he sounds like a bit of a dink .

Time to go find a sweet new place!
His defense for increasing the rent by such amount is that he didn't increase it for the last 3 years (I am here for like 2 years and my room mate for 3 years). We take the whole bi-level in a single contract so he is increasing $250 in the total contract so that's like $100 for each of us (+ a 3rd subtenant).

Yah I think it would be better to move out anyway. He won't be very friendly in the long terms. I would have been fine with the increase but no tank tripped me.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:38 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

What does your lease say? most do say NO liquid filled vessels allowed without explicit written consent.

Unless the landlord has done HUGE renos no way can he raise your rent over the current cap which you will have to check with the Residental tenancy branch to find the amount.. Guessing 5% or so
Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

that's sucky!! I'm curious too though, you said that your rental agreement clearly states "NO PETS" ? Did you not approach your landlord and work something out to allow you to have your tank? You've had the tank for a while. You must have communicated this to your landlord at some point or did you just ignore the clause in your rental agreement?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

That sucks that you have to move! Would he maybe agree to the tank if you offered to increase your security deposit? Are you able to show insurance noting he's covered for any loss as a result of the tank exploding or leaking, water damages? Does your lease agreement state anything specific about pets?

I get you are at the point where it doesn't matter with this current landlord, but likely something you should be up front about with your new landlord to ensure you get into a place knowing you won't have to move anytime soon as a result.

Regarding rent increases - you really are at the mercy of the landlord on that one, there's nothing in Alberta limiting residential rates or annual increases. If a landlord doesn't like you, they can raise it whatever they want.

gl!