Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 AM

awa1979 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post
i also agree that if we go one like we are, we need to be shut down,
or atleast cut fish catching in half.

like if the gov't gave us about a year to prepare for breeding fish, i think it could work.

shops would lose alot of money, but we kinda brang it upon ourselves.
Biggest problem is many species we have no idea how they even breed or to sex them.

Both the pet and food fisheries do damage and both need to be slowed if you ask me. I grew up in an area with alot of Tuna at one point, and other fish.

Due to over fishing the fishery is gone, the tuna is gone, as are many species of sharks and other fish who relied on the tuna.

Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act HR 669 could cause a major hit to the pet and aquarium trade. Similar bills have failed in the past, but eventually one will get through. Its only a matter of time.

http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_H_669_1.pdf
Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by awa1979 View Post
Biggest problem is many species we have no idea how they even breed or to sex them.

Both the pet and food fisheries do damage and both need to be slowed if you ask me. I grew up in an area with alot of Tuna at one point, and other fish.

Due to over fishing the fishery is gone, the tuna is gone, as are many species of sharks and other fish who relied on the tuna.

Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act HR 669 could cause a major hit to the pet and aquarium trade. Similar bills have failed in the past, but eventually one will get through. Its only a matter of time.

http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_H_669_1.pdf
I was actually going to search for this and bring this up. It really is just a matter of time before collection is slowed right down and then one day shut down. May not be in my lifetime but it will happen. As these species become endangered, it has to happen and will.

But I do agree that its only a matter of time before these bills get passed. I would be willing to bet it starts in Hawaii where they have already begun to limit collection (even more than in the past) and monitor it very closely. It could be just a matter of time before Yellow tangs are over $100 each. I feel it is about time they cost that because it may slow down how many are sold to inappropriate homes and die within weeks. Its sad but people care more about a $100 fish than a $30 fish.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

thats a great point GSP, and i think that a rise in prices would defiantly help.

like look at the amount of people who have gem tangs, compared to the amount of people with clownfish.

one thing is, THANK GOD FOR FRAGS. I swear calgary could run on frags alone if every hobbyist was on a forum or selling things to their LFS.

I myself find it kind of hard to talk about this stuff (or make up my mind really) because i work at a LFS, but i also want to be a marine biologist when i grow up. What would i do without any fish to study, and in a way it would be my fault if their weren't any fish.

One thing is latley i've realised a real increase in quality of shipping. Latley at the store we have not been have any DOAs or many deaths whatsoever, so thats good.

Basicaly, it all comes down to us. We are the ones creating demand for these fish, and we are the ones who should be saying "i think i'll stock this tank with 4 fish instead of 7" or
"i think i want captive bread fish"

I personally think that it's better to give only a few fish alot of elbow room, then alot of fish barley any room at all.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 AM

This is only 1 species but it gives an idea.

In Hawaii in one heavily fished site the Potters Angel numbers are on average 42% less vs the protected areas, but the good news is once the areas get protected this species make a comeback quickly.

That was in FAMA April 2009.

Take Mandarin Dragonets, in 2000 in Batasan Island it was revealed they had an export rate of 1,800-2,400 per month, with 70-75% being males and that's not including the mortality which the local collectors said was high.

FAMA April 2009

They have an interesting article on the impact the hobby has had one some species.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Do you eat fish, chicken, beef or are you a vegetarian?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Do you eat fish, chicken, beef or are you a vegetarian?
I eat chicken, but not fish or beef and sometimes turkey.

But I fail to see how this is related to the damage being caused by over fishing from both the pet and food trades.

Last I checked Chicken, beef, pork etc were raised on farms specifically for food.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:59 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Just because something is raised on a farm, or farmed for our use, does not mean there is no environmental or other impact. Look at the controversy over salmon farming, avian flu outbreaks on poultry farms, the impact high intensity beef or pork production has. Our hobby in the end is not much different. We're only human and that's what we do. Now I'm really on a downer.... need to cheer up by checking my tank.