Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 02-14-2009, 02:44 AM

awa1979 is on a distinguished road

UPS, FedEx etc do not specialize in live animals, you ship live animals at your risk with these companies.

From UPS website:

Any package containing a live animal shall be considered a perishable commodity and will be accepted for transportation solely at the shipper´s risk for any damage or loss arising from the perishable nature of the item. UPS shall not be liable for any special, incidental, or consequential damages.

What time was it delivered to your house and by what type of service?

UPS Next Day early AM? UPS Next Day? Or UPS Express Saver?

They typically deliver early by 8:30am, Next Day by 10:30am and Saver by noon, but if you live outside the city this may not be possible due to the drive to your area from their sorting facility.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 AM

scorpio73 is on a distinguished road
Smile distance

The shipment was from Delta BC aprox 600km away not too far away .
Ya **** happens just posted to give others info on shipping nightmares
not for sympathy .lol Sorry if some thought thats what i was looking for .
All the best and happy shipping .

just one question does anyone work for ups
Old 02-14-2009, 03:40 AM

urbanhellfire is on a distinguished road

Have you ever noticed all carriers post that its the shippers responsibility if something live dies in transit not the end consumer .

No risk to me if something arrives at my doorstep smelling like 3 day old tuna. just take it away.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:11 AM
Rockout

I work for UPS and I'll tell you right now that no one is going to call you when a parcel arrives it dosn't matter what you write on the box, who do you think is gonna call you, not the driver, you think they are gonna use their personal phone to tell you that your box has arrived. A small center alone pushes out 12000 boxes a day, so yeah there imperfections to the service.

Last edited by Rockout; 02-14-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:52 AM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Two things...
Never did understand why folks order livestock online and have it shipped. What's the attraction? Lower costs? I don't get it. I've never done it and likely never will...anytime of year. Just doesn't make sense to me to risk buying livestock, sight unseen, and then have it shipped, when I can just go to my LFS, or take a cooler to the mainland and ship the stuff back myself.
I've ordered enough times now (yes, dry goods) from a certain lower mainland dealer to know within an hour and a half when the UPS guy is going to show. It's usually two days after the order is placed and savvy tracking will confirm this by indicating "Out For Delivery". And the guy always shows up between 3:00PM and 4:30PM. It's always the same guy, too. And I've had enough deliveries from him to know that he has the same route area, day in - day out. I recognize him driving around in my part of town. So, I've gotten to know he has a pattern and my UPS deliveries will usually always arrive between 3:00PM and 4:30PM, 2 days after I ordered. Quite convenient, actually.

Another item, which is totally unrelated (video game strategy guide), I had ordered on a Sunday night. It was sent from Kentucky, via UPS. I got the guide two days later, on the Tuesday. I couldn't believe it.

Just thought I'd relate a few positive stories about UPS. They work for me.

Cheers,
Old 02-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

For a guy like me whos closest Store that sells Saltwater is 3 hours away with 2 aquariums, or edmonton 5 hours away the internet really appeals to me for certain things. WYSIWYG really appeals to me even though I have to pay a little bit more. To ship livestock via airline its 75-100 dollars. Its that much for me in gas alone to drive to Fort St John BC or Edmonton to go get them myself and I dont have to waste an afternoon to get it.

I have enough smarts on me though to realize its cold outside and even properly packaged there is a chance the livestock may die, so ship it heated cargo. I dont go and ship it UPS where it sits in a cold truck all day.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
For a guy like me whos closest Store that sells Saltwater is 3 hours away with 2 aquariums, or edmonton 5 hours away the internet really appeals to me for certain things. ......
Yes, I can understand that. I was thinking along the lines of combining a trip(s) with other business. I would never hop on a ferry to the mainland solely for the purpose of an aquaria livestock trip (or dry goods for that matter). These visits are always a stop by that are combined with another reason(s) for going. Patience helps. But I'm sure each of our situations and thought processes on how to shop are just as varied as there are coral species .

Cheers,
Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
...., when I can just go to my LFS, or take a cooler to the mainland and ship the stuff back myself. ...