Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 AM

Pazil is on a distinguished road
Default Update

OK so I had some time yesterday and was able to build the stand.... I am not sure what look I want to have yet for the finished product so for now it will stay this way. I was also able to get all of the plumbing completed and the tank placed in its new home. Here are some pics of the progress so far.

Tank.... I was running some water through everything here to test for leaks and much to my surprise everything was still dry after 2 hours....

Sump shot.... My skimmer came in yesterday ..... it is the Hydor Performer 700

Full tank shot...

Thats all for now.

Cheers
Lawrence

Last edited by Pazil; 03-03-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:09 AM

Quick Update..... Finally mixed enough RO/DI water to fill the tank and sump. Everything is now running. I will move the wavemaker over to the new tank after it finishes cycling and I move all of the inhabitants from the 34g cube over.

I stopped into Red Coral Yesterday and purchased about 105lbs of LR. Here is how the final aquascaping will stay ...... I will also be adding the 40 lbs. of LR from the smaller tank to add to the towers and add some sand (also from the smaller tank).... when that time comes (approx. 20lbs) I just want to add enough to cover the bottom for looks.

No Flash... my camera skills are seriously lacking

Flash on

Sump.... the skimmer is breaking in.

I still have not decided entirely on what to do with the stand... but it is looking like I will re-tile the fireplace mantle and tile the stand to match. I have left a ledge on the couch side of the tank for my coffee while admiring the new addition.

Cheers
Lawrence
Old 03-03-2009, 12:23 AM

golf nut is on a distinguished road

Looking at the pile of plumbing fittings you have it appears you are running the Dart to just 2 locline wyes, is this the case?
in the sump pic it also looks like the Dart has been reduced to 3/4 yes/no?

Last edited by golf nut; 03-03-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:25 AM

That is exactly what is happening
Old 03-03-2009, 12:32 AM

If the Dart is reduced to 3/4 then you are getting likely less than 1000 gph to the tank? why loose all that potential flow and install powerheads?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Its funny that you should mention that.... I thought that the return pressure felt low..... what is your seggestion? I would love to have more flow from the returns but I only have 2 - 3/4" bulk heads drilled for the returns and having them redrilled is not an option now.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:49 AM

It's a bit of an issue, if we get the Dart to run full capacity then likely your overflow will not handle it, I would plumb 1 1/2 all the way to the surface then tee off the 1 1/2 pipe to get a total of four 3/4 returns, send 2 to the bulkheads and the other two would have to go over the top. when it comes to volume you need four 3/4 outlets to handle that pumps capacity

you may have to throttle back the pump to keep the sump from draining, and the tank from overflowing
Old 03-03-2009, 12:54 AM

I will give this some thought.... thank you.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:01 AM

If you plan on staying bare bottom, the swap out the Dart for something around 800 to 1200 gph, throw the Dart onto an over the top closed loop, you can boil that tank.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Vendor

Red Coral Aquariums is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr OM View Post
It's a bit of an issue, if we get the Dart to run full capacity then likely your overflow will not handle it, I would plumb 1 1/2 all the way to the surface then tee off the 1 1/2 pipe to get a total of four 3/4 returns, send 2 to the bulkheads and the other two would have to go over the top. when it comes to volume you need four 3/4 outlets to handle that pumps capacity

you may have to throttle back the pump to keep the sump from draining, and the tank from overflowing
Close Mr OM good catch, Each of the two 3/4 " lines need to come off the 1.5" pipe. I just noticed that it was reduced to 3/4" after the TU Ballvalve coming out of the pump. Sorry Prazil I should have caught that on your Feb. 26th update. LMK how I can help to switch it.
Kevin