Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 11-13-2009, 01:14 AM

rodsboys is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on a skimmer

I need a skimmer for my 135 FOWLR. Has to be a hang on back model and has to work well.I am not too familar with them as I have always kept smaller tanks and didn't bother with the skimmer.I want to keep some fish that I have read need the skimming.Any advice on a particular model or brand would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 AM
bvlester

heres a few that I have come acrosed in threads on her that sound very Tunze ,deltec, ATB ,CPR,octopus link to a review http://www.livingreefs.com/octopus-h...re-t11300.html, aqua Medic and AquaC Remora make HOB skimmers I believe there are more out there just wanted to give you a start on your resurch and i would resurch them all I personaly have a Aqua Medic T1000 multi. run great and produces alot of very dark green brown skim mate that is so smelly I can smell it upstairs by night time. I found it works best as a HOB skimmer I dose not pull as much as a in sump skimmer I do not kbow why but that is my observation.

Bill
Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road
Default skimmer

from what have seen deltec is the best hob skimmer around snoop around reef central find a few more reviews
Old 11-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I will agree that Deltec has the best HOB skimmers. Try to find a used one if the price is intimidating.

You can get better quality in-sump skimmers for cheaper. One of the many reasons why sumps rock. Maybe if your tank isn't full of stock yet you could consider draining it partway to drill it.

SPS fanatic.