Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-16-2015, 01:39 AM

Polscot is on a distinguished road

Your house break would have tripped b4 it would "shock" you, GFIs work to prevent surges that can damage equipment, you can stand in your bathtub and drop a running hairdryer into it and you'll be fine (house breaker would trip)

-Your Friendly neighborhood Electrician
Old 03-16-2015, 02:31 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

gfi work by comparing current between hot and neutral and trip on an milli-amp imbalance. Cause of the imbalance could be me in the circuit by at a lower level, but fatal, than a panel breaker would trip.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 AM

rishu_pepper is on a distinguished road

Bought myself one of these:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/4-outlet.../6000109954969

Yay or nay?

Brian
Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 PM

vaporize is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to vaporize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polscot View Post
Your house break would have tripped b4 it would "shock" you, GFIs work to prevent surges that can damage equipment, you can stand in your bathtub and drop a running hairdryer into it and you'll be fine (house breaker would trip)

-Your Friendly neighborhood Electrician
Can you do a demo video?
Red Sea, Black Saddleback, Brown Camel, Orange Fin, Melanistic Clarkii, Common Clarkii, True Percula, True Picassco, Pink Skunk, Orange Skunk, Maldives Clown, TRUE Sebae clown, Akin Clown, Gold Striped Maroon, White Striped Maroon, Latezonatus
Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Hahaha yea!!! Demo!! Ive been zapped numerous times, not once did the house breaker trip.

Not only that...the powerbar that the bad equipment was plugged into didnt trip either. Stray voltage stays in the aquarium for sure. Thats why they make grounding probes lol.

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 03-16-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:43 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishu_pepper View Post
Bought myself one of these:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/4-outlet.../6000109954969

Yay or nay?
That'll do it. I have one of them as well, but don't use it for my fish tank since I installed a couple of in wall GFI outlets. I haven't read the specs for this power bar lately, but one thing to be aware of, especially for workshop type ones, is that many of them will not automatically reset after a power outage. The reason for this is that if you're running a portable power tool that trips the device, you may not want it to start up again unattended while you go reset the circuit breaker. Most of the built in/replacement wall outlet GFI devices will generally not trip when there's an outage & when power is restored by the hydro company, they will be on & continue to run whatever is plugged in to them. This is probably a good thing if there's an extended power outage & the power comes back on while you're away.

Quick way to confirm is to plug the GFI power bar in, go trip & reset the circuit breaker & see if it's still live after cycling.

For those folks who think they are safe using a grounding probe without a GFI device at the same time, do a little research. In the end, it's your choice & risk, but you could be liable if a friend, visitor, child gets injured when they stick a hand or arm into a tank with unsafe electrical components.