Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 11-02-2014, 08:49 PM

xtaze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
If you go the VorTech route, you may wish to consider MP60s for a long tank like yours. I have 3 MP40s on my 4 foot 77 gallon and run them at about 80% in TSM as a master/slave group. The one in the middle of the back glass is speed limited to below 50% since the tank is narrow. On a tank your size with sps you'll need to run 2 MP40s at 100% at least some of the time, which means louder & more wear & tear. With a couple of 60s you'd be able to run them at a lower speed. Only caveat to that comment is that I've never seen an MP60 in person, so no idea what they sound like at various settings.

With the broad flow & undertow the VorTechs create, there's really no need to point them. Set them at a proper distance from the water surface to get the desired ripples for gas exchange & they'll take care of the rest. I also like to reduce the number of "live" electrical components submerged in my system, so the VorTechs cater to that preference nicely. I'm not a pro, but I've been running VorTechs for at least 5 years or more with no significant issues. I actually neglect them quite a bit other than an occasional scrubbing of the cage with a toothbrush. They are covered in coraline and actually seem to be running quieter as they age.... or I may be losing my hearing as I age....

Thank you for this awesome reply
LPS dominant mixed reef
Old 11-02-2014, 09:55 PM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

If I were you, I would strongly consider the Maxspect Gyre. Although it is made in China, there's nothing else like it (so it's not like they copied the design of others, ahem Jebao cough cough). Cost is less too, but judging by the videos, the flow is unattainable by using regular pumps, so it's a better option as well.