Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-07-2012, 05:37 PM

Pipes1234 is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrading questions

Hi so I'm currently running a 50g reef all lps and softies no sps...and a 55g sump that's about 3/4 full with a full refugium.I recently bought a nice 75g tank and I finished the plumbing and the stand last weekend ....I'm wondering if I were to take the 50g of water from my old setup and the entire sump as is and move it all to the new system than ad a mere 25 gallons or so if it would crash my tank .....never done a big tank move /upgrade before just wondering what others have done or suggest ?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

How long has the tank been running? What kind of sand bed do you have?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:27 PM

HaZRaTTy is on a distinguished road
Default Hey

Well in theory its a great idea, but they're are some problems with throwing everything over. I see you have LPS, no Fish?

I'm not sure how long your tank has been setup, or it even has a sand bottom but I would refrain from moving your sand over it could cause an outgas of toxins that build up in your sand bed. You could always replace the sand with new, or rinse yours really well.

How far is your move? Across the house? Room?

I"m sure you will still see a small cycle in the new tank, Its up to you if you want to transfer over all your livestock at the same time as your LR and water. Personally I would move it over in steps. Which would be a problem if you only have one sump, but its doable.

You could move it over in stages, Fill your 75g with 20G from the other tank and fill up the 75 up to the overflow w/o the sump while keeping your 50G running. Move some LR over from the old system and let it run with a powerhead for a few days. Do a WC on the 75 and move stuff over? You could also just move everything over at the same time, but I wouldn't be surprised if you had a few casualties in the process, either way.

I've never had to move a tank like this so I can only give you so much information, hopefully someone pipes up that has experience with a move similar so you can pick them and see what worked. Also try searching canreef on similar posts as I know I have seen a few people ask about the same sort of thing.

Good Luck. Sorry I couldn't give you more but at least its a start.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 PM

I have new sand and my 50g has been running for just over a year and I do have fish as well as a cleaner shrimp .....I have only one sump and I don't want to stick my hands in the sump its ALIVE in there I have one chamber that I was planning on putting all my coral in during the change

I planed on doing this slowly over 2 days .....add all my old water and sump to the new system and wait ..add my rock to the new system and wait add a small amount of new ro saltwater and wait and keep doing this until its full and ready to go ....it will probably only end up being 20g of water that I'm adding in the end ....tanks are never full right

Old 07-07-2012, 11:09 PM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

just get a couple guys over and lift that lil 50 gal up and pour it into the 75. It will stir the sand a lil but that will settle in an hour or so
Old 07-08-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton newbie View Post
just get a couple guys over and lift that lil 50 gal up and pour it into the 75. It will stir the sand a lil but that will settle in an hour or so
Please don't do this, it is a very bad idea and I hope this was a joke. hahahahehehe (nervous laugh)
Old 07-08-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipes1234 View Post
I have new sand and my 50g has been running for just over a year and I do have fish as well as a cleaner shrimp .....I have only one sump and I don't want to stick my hands in the sump its ALIVE in there I have one chamber that I was planning on putting all my coral in during the change

I planed on doing this slowly over 2 days .....add all my old water and sump to the new system and wait ..add my rock to the new system and wait add a small amount of new ro saltwater and wait and keep doing this until its full and ready to go ....it will probably only end up being 20g of water that I'm adding in the end ....tanks are never full right

Haha just stick your arm in, whats the worst that can happen. Your plan sounds, sound to me. Just be careful with the sand
Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 PM

So it's done and looks fantastic ....a friend in town have me water right out of his tank so Al in all I only had to add 10g of freshly made ro SW ......and I used new sand