Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 PM

Ginu is on a distinguished road

Thats really weird... I don't have an answer to this, but would like to find out what causes that as well and is that silicone reef safe after it turns color?

I have a feeling its the silicone or the light over the silicone, if its aquarium safe then there is not much to worry about although it will most likely drive you insane as that tank is a masterpiece.
Hope you get it all sorted out.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:22 PM

yellowworld is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit.fire View Post
I find exposure to sunlight will cause that in SOME silicones, it happened to the one corner of my wife's tank that is exposed to sunlight but the rest of the tank is unaffected

No negative affects from what I've noticed on corals or structural integrity of the tank, just an eye sore
Sunlight might have done it but my sump is closed off the the light all day long and it seems to have got it worse then the rest of the tank so I'm not to sure what is causing it…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Thats really weird... I don't have an answer to this, but would like to find out what causes that as well and is that silicone reef safe after it turns color?

I have a feeling its the silicone or the light over the silicone, if its aquarium safe then there is not much to worry about although it will most likely drive you insane as that tank is a masterpiece.
Hope you get it all sorted out.
Your dead right about it driving me insane! haha so i think what I'm going to do is cut the entire tank and sump apart and clean it all up then get my hands on a few tubes of the clear aquarium silicone and get rid of those pesky seams haha and then i know for sure 100% that there is nothing going to be effecting this tank, and with all the extra stuff I'm doing and adding to it not having to worry about the silicone will just be one less thing i have to worry about
Old 12-18-2013, 10:28 PM

Hey guys I've been pretty busy the last couple days getting more built on the boardwalk and also getting my return plumbing finished and final with the additions of a few valves that allow me to pressure up the line feeding my waterfall/lagoon! its been running for a day now and I'm able to see where the water is wanting to move and how I'm going to have to keep it moving the way i want it too but for now here is a video for you guys!

Click Me!

Don't forget to change it to 1080p either!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:09 AM

IanWR is on a distinguished road

My mind absolutely boggles at the time and effort that you have put into this tank. I can only assume that you will be adding tiny led streetlights for your boardwalk, a working remote control crane for the cargo area, and wee little floodlights to illuminate the rock from beneath, all run by yet another hidden electrical panel that looks like it was assembled by an OCD Swiss watchmaker.

- Ian
Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWR View Post
My mind absolutely boggles at the time and effort that you have put into this tank. I can only assume that you will be adding tiny led streetlights for your boardwalk, a working remote control crane for the cargo area, and wee little floodlights to illuminate the rock from beneath, all run by yet another hidden electrical panel that looks like it was assembled by an OCD Swiss watchmaker.

- Ian
hahahaha thats awesome!! and pretty bang on too!! I'm going to be building lamps out of model plane hollow brass tube and .75mm fiber optic line - the lights are going to be about 1cm tall at most with, most likely a cast epoxy lamp on top to make it look like an old gas lantern light post

I haven't decided on the cargo crane yet or if I'm going to do something different but the one thing I'm sure of there is going to be a lighthouse built into the rock at the top that will light up as well and conceal the blue tubing that feeds the waterfall - not to sure if I'm going to build it out of wood or stone and wood

also not to give to much away but I think i posted a while back a ship that I had built and then wrecked to make it look like it split in half. I might end up using it as well but only time will tell
Old 06-12-2014, 04:51 PM

Update?
Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 PM

Hey everyone! I'm sorry for the extended hiatus. Ive been gearing up for a move for the last few months and still working out of town. So Ive made it to my new place and I've unpacked the truck and set up the majority of everything and cracked a fresh bottle of jack and started pouring all the while listening to my tank yell at me to unpack it and get things going again. Unable to resist anymore I start to work on setting up my office and the tank, after about half hour of hunting to find all the desk parts, it finally starts to go together then the big moment as the tank gets unwrapped and placed on the desk. Everything is going fantastically so i headed back out to the kitchen to grab that glass of jack I hadn't even started yet, when I hear a bang and the distinctive sound of glass shattering...

See the way the extendable legs on this desk are set up, they require you to twist them on way to loosen them off so you can lengthen or shorten them but then need to be turned the opposite way to tighten them back up again. I think that after a long day of moving and unpacking i didn't quite tighten one of legs fully. The weight of the tank on the desk with the help of that cruel cold hearted beach known as gravity had conspired against me.

I sat there for a minute or two in shock and disbeliefe before a few big gulps finished my drink and allowed me just the perfect amount of time to go threw the normal grieving process, you know shouting a little at absolutely nothing, swearing that your just going to sell everything a get out of the hobby, thinking you can fix the problem because it's not that bad, and finally realizing that your too invested in the stupid thing to give up, and this time you'll build it better.

So thats all for story time today kids, but don't worry ill be back real soon to show you exactly what a new 13.3g Mr. Aqua Bowfront tank looks like!! (when i find one that is) but if you can't wait that long click on this link right here and see magically into the future
Old 10-28-2014, 09:46 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear that... I'm going through a similar process and still unpacking from my move and at the same time making a new stand for my new tank which is still being shipped from Concept in Alberta

For now, my temporary fish tank looks like this:

And took up the entire shed, but they have a ton of swimming space as that's a 150 gallon rubbermaid vs the 75gal they were previously housed into. Needless to say, the shed is extremely tight. i can barely squeeze in there to throw food in.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Sounds familiar!!! Just toppled my new mr. Aqua 12 gallon long and the sump all in one. Smashed it all!!

I feel your pain!!!

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 10-29-2014, 12:00 AM

Ouchy, Mr aqua seems to have bad luck...

Tags
bowfront, custom, exposed rock, tunze, wavebox