Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-26-2011, 04:04 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road
Default Nems with SPS & Zoo's ok?

I'm Shutting down 4 marine system in the next month or so and trying to decide who to keep and who needs to go...

the New system is going to be SPS/Zoo dominated. I have an LTA and a few BTA, My wife really want to keep the LTA and the host clowns but I don't really know how the Nems will interact with any SPS etc...

Is there any issues I should be concerned about here or are they good to go with eachother?

TIA
Old 02-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I tried that once, the nem went for a walkabout and wiped out several colonies of SPS
Old 02-26-2011, 04:12 PM

coreyskylar is on a distinguished road

I have over 20 Sps in my 80g with 5nems, so far no problems.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:22 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

So far it sounds like a lottery...I just watched a couple of fishytimes video's (great work by the way) and noticed quite a few gbta mixed in the zoo's...

Maybe I'll keep one FOWLR types going for those that the wife doesn't want to give up...
Old 02-26-2011, 04:33 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

I have kept a sebae anemone in a mixed reef since 2004. It seems to have found its sweet spot as it hasn't moved in the past 4 years. However coral growth does abruptly stop in its area and if I were to ever loose it I might not replace it because it takes up a full square foot of prime real estate.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 02-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Nebthet is on a distinguished road

The LTA is more of a sand dwelling anemone than the BTA's therefore it shouldn't move around much if at all if you put it in a spot very similar to where it is now.

It is the BTA's that are known to go galavanting around a tank when you least expect it.
Nebthet Special Forces Aqua Division...Codename Nebanatior...Mission: Coral Recovery..... Don't say anymore on this form I've detected a key tap surveillance system ..I think they are on to you.. what hu no.. no....please..
Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Bloodasp is on a distinguished road

My 2 BTA's seemed to have stopped moving from their spot they are in even after I moved those rocks so they would at least be in better view rather than facing the back of the tank. I think it would still be a gamble but I don't think they would move much once they find their ideal spot.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:34 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

I have one RBTA with my sps that went walkabout for months until it found it's home, but nothing seemed damages by the process.

The rock it found a hole to nestle in on was the only rock in my tank that had zoos, really pretty orange and green ones.

The zoos and the nem live perfectly happy together, even the zoos that live under the shadow of the nems tentacles when it's fully expanded stay open.

Then of course aiptasia moved in... they are way more of a threat to the zoos than the BTA has every been.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:44 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebthet View Post
The LTA is more of a sand dwelling anemone than the BTA's therefore it shouldn't move around much if at all if you put it in a spot very similar to where it is now.

It is the BTA's that are known to go galavanting around a tank when you least expect it.

+1 as it gets larger it tends too stay put once it finds its sweet spot
Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

nems is evil......started with one GBTA and ended up flushing 12, yes 12 nems down the toilet when I moved....they were everywhere.....just my experience...
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694