Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-14-2014, 02:07 PM

Fesso is on a distinguished road

If you're at all handy the best bang for the buck I found was the Avast CS1.
Rated up to 200 Gallons. It comes as a kit that you assemble yourself. It took me half an afternoon to get mine put together and it was fun. It's a recirculating skimmer so water depth is not important. It's about $300 including the Sicce PSK1000 recirc pump.
And how sexy is the smoked acrylic?

Here's the product details:
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/pr...ne-Skimmer-Kit
Old 11-07-2014, 03:05 AM

Skim is on a distinguished road

Well its been a while since my post on the article that I read. Just to give a quick up date as to why I read that article. I purchased a Bubble Magus Curve 9 I guess in early spring this year and man what a Skimmer the stuff that it brought forth from the tank water was hard to believe. Up tell then I had a Eshopp 150 good skimmer simple easy to use and would get a nice dark almost black sludge. Well the BM 9 started to get noisy and is oversized for my 100gal+ sump, this skimmer is rated for 300 to 400 Gal and I believe it could do it, I think it starts from a 10" base and tappers to 6" neck. I was lucky it fit into my sump, I knew it would fit but to get into the sump was the trick. Anyhow started to get noisy and now am waiting for a replacement impeller so I thought I need a good back up and went to a local well semi local reef shop and wanted to get a Reef Octopus 150 INT well no stock and was asked why do you won't that piece of doo doo get the Omega 150 ( I did look at it and read a lot about it and was even considering the RO Prime ) its far better look hold the lid feel that look Titanium screws bla bla bla bling bling bling long story short I bought it because I needed the skimmer. He said he could get RO and sells them but said the Omega is a far better skimmer. So all the way home my gut is telling me NAY NAY ( John Pinette R.I.P ) and I get home, more bling bling the box what a beautiful box well if anything I have a $400.00+ box well open it, Flute has chip out of it, the air stem is snapped of and all I could think about was NAY NAY. So now I have to get a new Flute and I glued the stem back. So onto my review of my NAY NAY Omega Skimmer. I personally can not recommend the Omega 150 I would have to say save your money and get something else the pump is too big for the 150 the turbulence inside the cone is just nuts, does it skim yes, could it skim better yes. The reaction chamber is about 10" now I am talking the area where bubbles can be seen and about 6" is just swirling around and going nuts and that leaves 4" of true reaction area not much and its moving quite fast upwards. Anyhow enough of that so IMO NAY NAY on the Omega 150 for my fellow Reefers. Sorry I must say that it is the quietest Skimmer that I have ever heard.
I have just put an order in for a Reef Octopus 150 INT, I was considering the SRO 200 but I read a couple of reviews that said the Blaster pump was to much for the size and better off with the 150 so back to where I started from wanting the RO 150 INT and should have it next week.

Tell then all the best.

Mike
Old 11-07-2014, 04:44 AM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

so what your saying is

1. bubblemagus curve 9 is noisy then impeller broke , but otherwise great skimmer ?

2. Omega 150 is silent bling bling yet came broken ? ( which sounds like vertex to me..) and has a bad design .aka reaction chamber

3. Trying a 150 prime that is an omega knock off ?

Why did you not just get a new impeller and see how the curve 9 behaves before jumping ship 3 times ?
Old 11-07-2014, 05:19 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

The impeller on my Bubble Magus (Eheim 1260) just busted too! I'm about to pick up a Curve 9 and by the sounds of it I should pick up a spare impeller while I'm at it Actually that doesn't bother, so long as a have a working skimmer that skims awesome ! The impeller takes quote a beating. It is spinning 24/7 and i'm sure random junk gets sucked in there and mangled up.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Well I never said that the Impeller broke, it makes noise as in it rattles and I am waiting for a new one. The BM is a great skimmer but it is too much I believe for my tank as it will skim and then die off, I had it die off for three days one time and then it slowly comes back and will skim some nasty stuff. I would like a skimmer to be more consistent. The Omega well I think they just put too big of pump on it for its body size but that's just my opinion. The RO Prime was one I was looking at it because of the way the cup twists off I like that and you know what I bet it skims better then the Vertex just because of the pump and as for the Prime being a knock off I don't know, I read an article that the Prime was ready to go 1 year before the Omega was released but they did not have the new pumps for them and decided to wait, how much truth there is to that I don't know. So like I said I wanted to get the RO 150 INT as a back up or if I liked it use it full time and use the BM 9 as back up but they did not have it so I ended up with the Omega. I just wanted to post what I have observed so far and it just may help some decide on a skimmer.
So this is what I am saying.

1. BM 9 Great Skimmer ( have it for 8 months ) should have gone with 7.

2. Got the Omega and IMO does not live up to all the hype, and just posted what I noticed from having one.

3. I was think of the Prime but I got the RO 150 INT instead and I will post my opinion on it when I have used it and if I don't like it I may even try the New Coral Box Skimmer with the DC pump as it looks quite interesting. The one thing that I am starting to see is that the skimmer with the pump inside may be the way to go as it seems they do not have as much turbulence in them and act more like current and co-current skimmer no rotation.

That's what I am saying.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Islander

cool , thanks for the info . Interesting on your theory on curve 9 being to big .
Whats your fish load like ?

im just wondering if that would be too big for me then too
Old 11-07-2014, 07:45 AM

My bio load I don't think is much, I have a Naso about 6" and 2 Perc's and File fish about 3", Scopas Tang 4 to 5", Sand sifting yellow head Goby about 5" a Sea Cucumber, Serpent star, little Goby mate for Shrimp and couple peppermint and Cleaner Shrimp.

The 9 is great skimmer but its big I was surprised when the box came. Like I said the cup neck is 6" and the cup is 8", I could put the Omega inside the Curve 9. I have heard and read that the 7 and 5 are vary quiet.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Islander

ok. thanks.
sounds as if my tank would be better suited for the curve 7
Old 11-14-2014, 03:49 AM

Well got the RO Classic 150 INT on Monday the Nov,.10 and installed it after giving a quick Vinegar bath. So far I am impressed with this skimmer it as quite as the Omega and it skims quite well so far. Turbulent until about 3 inches from the top and settles then very fine bubbles to where the cup meets the body and then getting nice pea size bubbles up the neck to bottom of cup and starts to change to large soapy like bubbles that you can see are brown, then gets to top and starts to form a thick like dense foam that is blown over the edge and slowly slides down. It pulls about 300 to 400 lph according to my Aquamedic air meter. The Omega pulls about 500 to 600 Lph so both are not close to what they say but the one that does surprise me is the Curve 9 that say 800 to 900 and pulls well over 1000 Lph meter stops at 1000 and buy how much I have to turn the Valve closed on the Meter to get the ball back down I would say it pulls 1200 to 1500, sucks a massive amount of air. I wish I could figure out how to post pic`s as I took some of the 9 and what it produced in 4 days. I have a 1 Gal. drain bucket and in 4 days was almost half full of blackish green stinky matter and I use Socks and I also use Pellets so that may account for some.
That's it so far I will update if anything new comes up.

Mike
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
However, being all old school and stuff, I do think injected skimmers beat the various wheel designs.
Have I got a skimmer for you might be a little tall for your stand but you could put this baby beside the stand, dual becket injection driven by two Mark 4's

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 11-16-2014 at 04:00 AM.