Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 09-25-2017, 05:03 PM

Millepora_Maniac is on a distinguished road
Default Bio Churn or direct flow reactor for pellets

Hi All,

I have been running a CAD bio pellet reactor for a little while, but I added the amount of media recommended fro my tank volume and it doesn't have the power to churn it anymore. Looking to upgrade my unit to something that holds more pellets, and has more churning power. I came across the Bio Churn reactors by reef octopus. They look OK, but do they work as well or better than the typical direct flow reactor? These ones spin the material around instead of tumbling it.

Based on peoples opinions here, I will try to make an informed decision. It is 300 bucks or so. it has to be worth it for that kind of money.

Thanks!

90 gal SPS display+65 gallon mixed reef
GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:17 PM

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a churn 120 r it works great in the beginning I think I needed to change the material out. Regualr pellets rather then all in one would have been better but I used the all in ones. I would just get the non re-circulating as you need to run two pumps for it and it eventually craps out
Old 09-26-2017, 01:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

The Two Little Fishies reactors work quite well, and they're cost effective. As long as you have enough flow you can fill the TLF150 to about 1.5" from the top and you can still get a good tumble out of it with a MJ1200 pump. I like that it has a hose outlet so you can direct the hose right into your skimmer intake (best way to run BP).

If you're really finicky, you can use the top of a small pop bottle to modify the bottom of the reactor plate into a cone shape which gets them to tumble even better. I prefer to use the reactor stock out of the box. Works fine. You can also modify a TLF Kalkwasser reactor (using bigger line inside) which has a built-in cone bottom. Works great.

There is a new "recipe" for the TLF all-in-one biopellets. I like them a lot better. They don't leave GFO grains all over your sump anymore. However, they are a lot heavier (and much smaller) so they need more flow. If you want to run a mix of AIO and regular BP you'll need more space in the reactor. When I mix them I don't actually make the AIO pellets tumble - they move around a bit that's all, then the regular pellets are tumbling on top of the AIO. Works great in tanks with PO4 problems.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 09-26-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:39 PM

Talking Bought it

Thanks guys, I have used a phosban reactor before, I upgraded that to a CAD lights pellet reactor. I'm looking for a bigger and better reactor specifically designed for this purpose. I went on a couple different websites, read some reviews and watched a video of one of these in action, and I have decided to give it a shot, it should be delivered today. I went with the Bio Churn 120. NO LID! so no clogging, and no diffusion plate at the bottom to get clogged.

Looking forward to trying it out, will let you all know if it goes completely sideways or anything. lol

Cheers!

GEAR: Korallin calcium reactor, bio pellets, digital aquatics controller, Tunze ATO, MP40, 4 x Tunze 6105 w/controller, Reef Octopus Xp3000 ext, 2x250w MH, Futura LED.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millepora_Maniac View Post
Thanks guys, I have used a phosban reactor before, I upgraded that to a CAD lights pellet reactor. I'm looking for a bigger and better reactor specifically designed for this purpose.
But why?

I have a Reef Dynamics recirculating biopellet reactor. It's bigger, better, (much more expensive) and specifically designed for this purpose. I like the PhosBan reactor better!

Let us know how this new one works out for you.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:50 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Haha, funny how sometimes a simple reactor is your best bet instead of all the expensive specific design reactors.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:34 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
But why?

I have a Reef Dynamics recirculating biopellet reactor. It's bigger, better, (much more expensive) and specifically designed for this purpose. I like the PhosBan reactor better!

Let us know how this new one works out for you.
I used to get things done on the cheap for my aquarium, but I've changed over the years.

A Pinto, and a Porsche both get you to work, but a Porsche will go faster if pushed. Also, you can take it to the track and rip it around.

I want something that will unquestionably keep tumbling the media, and if I decide to upgrade to a bigger tank, which I will, it will handle more pellets.

A Phosban reactor is the Pinto, it works, but....this thing is a Porsche. The CAD lights reactor was like an entry level BMW that needed constant maintenance to keep it running. This thing looks like it is extremely low maintenance, and high performance.

I shot a video of it running. I am trying to figure out an image hosting site so I can show you guys how awesome this thing is.

Will be back with an update soon, and video.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Cool gadget/shiny new toy = plenty good reason to buy something functional.

*Am personally eyeing up a $500 hand plane that I totally don't need.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:17 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Cool gadget/shiny new toy = plenty good reason to buy something functional.

*Am personally eyeing up a $500 hand plane that I totally don't need.
Absolutely. That plane will peel wood off in the same way a cheap one will, but smoother, and for longer, and probably with less sharpening. For that cost, I am assuming it has brass or gold hardware and ornate decorative aspects.

What also helped spur on my purchase was having the same company that manufactured my skimmer manufacture my reactor. The skimmer I have has worked flawlessly for five years.

I just figured out my image hosting, so video to come soon... stay tuned reefers.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Video!

Hope this works!

Nope, it didn't, let me try something else...

Last edited by Millepora_Maniac; 09-28-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: video didn't work

Tags
biochurn, biopellet, cad, reactor