Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-08-2015, 04:04 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road
Default Things to do in Honolulu

Hello,
I am going to Honolulu with my family for about 10 days. I am wondering if you can suggest places/activities that we definitely don't want to miss there. Also, what would be a good place for snorkeling? My kids are seven and five years old and they can't swim. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Besides the regular snorkel places, I had the best just down from the hotel by the breakwater wall. Use to head there most mornings before swim crowds. All the fish were in eating off the wall. Amazing. There was good snorkling in water I could stand in, at least in that area. Most of the best in the other bays like Hanauma bay, were over my head deep.
Loved the Waikiki Aquarium. We must have visited there a half dozen times. One of the best things about Honolulu is just wandering around downtown. Visiting all the places and haggling in the market square. We also rented a car and just bummed around the north shore. That was fun. The bus service is good in Honolulu, if one knew where they were going. .
Of course the Diamond Head climb is a must. Pearl Harbour memorial is good if you can go when not overcrowded like it was when we tried. We still had a good time seeing the other stuff there besides the actual memorial.

Guess its all preference but I would go back there before some of the other places.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:54 PM
busy with fresh water.

The Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Besides the regular snorkel places, I had the best just down from the hotel by the breakwater wall. Use to head there most mornings before swim crowds. All the fish were in eating off the wall. Amazing. There was good snorkling in water I could stand in, at least in that area. Most of the best in the other bays like Hanauma bay, were over my head deep.
Loved the Waikiki Aquarium. We must have visited there a half dozen times. One of the best things about Honolulu is just wandering around downtown. Visiting all the places and haggling in the market square. We also rented a car and just bummed around the north shore. That was fun. The bus service is good in Honolulu, if one knew where they were going. .
Of course the Diamond Head climb is a must. Pearl Harbour memorial is good if you can go when not overcrowded like it was when we tried. We still had a good time seeing the other stuff there besides the actual memorial.

Guess its all preference but I would go back there before some of the other places.
Hey Doug a good friend of mine mentioned the snorkeling at a breakwater near his hotel, he said it was amazing, wonder if it was the same place?
Old 08-08-2015, 05:01 PM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

Thanks Doug. I will definitely check those out. I need it to be shallow so my kids can enjoy it too. They had a lot of fun snorkeling in Mexico so they want to try it again. We will be renting a car as well since I am too lazy to take the bus
Old 08-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Thinks he can get Mods fired

acepumping is on a distinguished road

When I go, I ALWAYS go to hanauma bay.. it by far the best area to go snorkeling. .. every time I've been, I have had turtles swim beside me...
Old 08-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guy View Post
Hey Doug a good friend of mine mentioned the snorkeling at a breakwater near his hotel, he said it was amazing, wonder if it was the same place?
We stayed down near the end or at least then, of hotel row at the Queen Kapulani. Closest to Diamond Head. It was the wall in front of there. Easy walk to the aquarium also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acepumping View Post
When I go, I ALWAYS go to hanauma bay.. it by far the best area to go snorkeling. .. every time I've been, I have had turtles swim beside me...
Yes good there also but to deep for what he wants for his kids. We snorkelled in 20ft plus of water there. It is good in shallow also but not like out in the deeper part. Or so I found.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:44 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Last time we went we got the Go Oahu cards from Costco. The Island tour was really good and so was the Luau. The Polynesian Cultural Center is great and the kids loved the catamaran ride. The previously mentioned places are all good and there is also a pretty good zoo at the south end of Waikiki. We never bothered to rent a car as all the tours have a tour bus come pick you up and drop you off right at your hotel entrance. Our tour guides were all native Hawaiians who could tell you about the history of all the places and were very entertaining. Oh, and if you go to McDonalds and they still have tarot root pie, it's pretty awful.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:24 PM

gmann is on a distinguished road

hanauma bay for snorkling...

dole plantation is nice. they always include that in island tours.
pearl harbor wasn my cup of tea, but others i know paid for access to the other ships/ exhibits and really liked it.

lotsa good food. paddle boarding always fun, not sure where u staying but u can rent a paddle board or two beach front nxt to pacific beach hotel i believe.

luau's (sp) are nice, dont go to the one in the sheraton though (big mistake on my part)

personally i go to the abc store and buy a floaty bed and drift away lol

speaking of which, there is a supermarket 1 block off the strip, if you close go there to get your stuff. otherwise abc stores which are located on every corner are good
Old 08-09-2015, 02:30 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acepumping View Post
after being there over 40 times, hanauma bay is the best place on the island for snorkeling. it is a protected marine park so they do close it down once and a while, you can feed the fish peas also.

other places that are a must see are the Polynesian cultural center, the dole plantation for the tour and the best pineapple ice cream you will ever have.

there is the Arizona memorial at pearl harbour. if you have a car while your there a drive around the island is pretty col lots of different things along the way.

oh stay away from the island tours and rent a car and go to the places on your own. much better and gives you more time. 10 days is a lot of time, you can see everything and still spend most of your time on the beach

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:45 PM

H2o2 is on a distinguished road

One of my favourites was the pill box hike on the Kailua side. Takes u up to the old bunkers on top of a ridge over looking the Mokulua islands and Bellows air force base, its beautiful and down below is a beautiful beach for the kids to snorkel and swim as warm and shallow with lots of fish

Last edited by H2o2; 08-09-2015 at 05:49 PM.