Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 12-19-2014, 03:31 AM

Oilers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Polyps out is pretty good. Lots of lps and clams
Thanks Nick. I'll definitely check it out.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Over 800,000 people in Edmonton and so few reef stores - that's crazy! Here in Saskatoon we're a mere 240,000 with one kick ass local marine-only shop (thankful for that!).
Myka,
It's sad actually. If I know more about the hobby, I would be tempted to open up my own store
Did you say you are coming to Edmonton?? I am still waiting for your homemade food for the fishes
Old 12-19-2014, 11:17 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Aquarium Central is in the north end of town. You should also join the facebook group "Edmonton Coral Reef Buy and Sell" there is always lots for sale on there. And yes Marine Experience is still around and Neil always posts on the mentioned facebook page.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:34 PM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Over 800,000 people in Edmonton and so few reef stores - that's crazy! Here in Saskatoon we're a mere 240,000 with one kick ass local marine-only shop (thankful for that!).
Edmonton has 6 retail SW stores that I know of. Don't know if I would call any of them kick ass but they each have their moments.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:49 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Edmonton isn't that big to drive around, should check out Marine Aquaria.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:18 PM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road

Marine aquaria is the only LFS I buy from in edmonton quality and customer service is top notch. Marine experience is home based but has a ton of frags and always has deals every weekend, also a great guy to deal with. Aquarium central isnt bad, staff isnt too knowledgeable in the salt water trade but they carry a little saltwater equipment and livestock. Aquarium illusions is way overpriced. Big als is not bad, they are getting better and more into the saltwater trade. Polyps out is pricey but they have nice stuff all the time. Aquagiant (aquajunk) everything breaks or dies within a few weeks and service is absolutely terrible.

Just saved you a lot of running around
Old 12-20-2014, 03:44 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
Myka,
It's sad actually. If I know more about the hobby, I would be tempted to open up my own store
Did you say you are coming to Edmonton?? I am still waiting for your homemade food for the fishes
Yeah, we were looking at houses, and thought we had one picked out, but hubby got cold feet and put the brakes on moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Edmonton has 6 retail SW stores that I know of. Don't know if I would call any of them kick ass but they each have their moments.
Aquarium Illusions is the only shop that I went to that I thought had any interesting corals.

Any time I went to Blue World it was a giant shop with no stock, and the lady at Red Coral told me if I bought the Bamboo Shark it would only grow to the size of my aquarium (Steve was great though). These are both closed now aren't they?

Aquarium Central was just opening up last time I was there (a couple years ago?) and they had some big plans for a saltwater section - did that pan out? i don't think I've been to Marine Aquaria or Marine Experience.

SPS fanatic.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:42 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah, we were looking at houses, and thought we had one picked out, but hubby got cold feet and put the brakes on moving.

Aquarium Illusions is the only shop that I went to that I thought had any interesting corals.

Any time I went to Blue World it was a giant shop with no stock, and the lady at Red Coral told me if I bought the Bamboo Shark it would only grow to the size of my aquarium (Steve was great though). These are both closed now aren't they?

Aquarium Central was just opening up last time I was there (a couple years ago?) and they had some big plans for a saltwater section - did that pan out? i don't think I've been to Marine Aquaria or Marine Experience.
Blue world and red coral are now closed.. Aquarium central did make a go of it and will be moving soon though from when I was in there they concentrated mostly on fw.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:07 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Myka, next time you are in Edmonton you should definitely check out Marine Aquaria. That's how every fish store should look like - not musty and loud and humid like most of them out there. Marine Aquaria has a nice "homey" feel and they took the time to make everything look nice in the store.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intarsiabox View Post
Aquarium Central is in the north end of town. You should also join the facebook group "Edmonton Coral Reef Buy and Sell" there is always lots for sale on there. And yes Marine Experience is still around and Neil always posts on the mentioned facebook page.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have a FB account for various reasons but I might have to bite the bullet and create one now.