Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-11-2007, 06:18 PM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef
Lightbulb Appealing to Your Generosity !!

Hey everyone. For those who don't know, I work in a group home setting with youth, ages 13-17. The youth who live in the program all have PChIP status (Protection of Youth Involved in Prostitution). Some of them have expressed interest in setting up and maintaining a saltwater aquarium, but the social services sector isn't actually going to pony up any extra funds for this to happen! As these kids work past their issues on a day-to-day basis, I think it would be excellent to give them something to do. And I think we can all agree to the therapeutic benefits of an aquarium

SO. My question is....does anyone out there have an old, leftover skimmer or lights or tank or live rock or algae magnets or anything that they'd be willing to donate? I'm not in the business of asking for free stuff (well, not often ), but this isn't for me.

Let me know. If not, no quibble. I'll just have to get creative in other ways!

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 PM

seashells is on a distinguished road

Wish you were closer...I'm sure we all have extra stuff.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:26 AM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

How fancy do you want to go? And how big? I have a single Beckett skimmer I bought from OA.I believe it was one of their skimmers for the tanks in the store.I think its good for about 200g,but not sure.I don't have a pump to run it,but some thing like a Mak4 would work well.I never used this one myself,so its been sitting around for about 3 or 4 years waiting for a good cause to be donated to.Maybe big for your needs,but its all yours if you want. It has a rectangle base measuring 12"x 7" and a 6" diameter reaction chamber with a 5" diameter neck and is 26" tall.So you would need an area 12x7x26 to set it up.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

I've got a 48" Red Sea Phazer IV power compact hood that could use a good home. It takes 4 x 55w straight pin bulbs. The plastic bulb clips are broken but zip ties work fine. I might have some old bulbs and the legs for it packed away in the garage as well. There is a Hagen master test kit too if it's not to old (the one in the blue plastic case).
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium
Old 05-12-2007, 01:12 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Wow guys! I'm pleased!! I'm not exactly sure how fancy I want to go....probably just a simple set-up for now (though I'm going to try to incorporate a sump if possible). I might even try to make my own rocks using directions from one of the DIY threads on RC. Might even attempt to construct my own stand/canopy, which is well beyond my realm of experience....hehe. We shall see!

I'll PM all of you who've made offers and arrange to get this stuff. Thanks so much!!!

~DREW

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 05-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately, wrong province. If you post updates of what you have collected, maybe some of us can help gather the rest.

Anthony
Old 05-12-2007, 02:14 AM

Glennrf38 is on a distinguished road

I've done a bunch of concrete rocks and they turned out great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Iron_Chef View Post
Wow guys! I'm pleased!! I'm not exactly sure how fancy I want to go....probably just a simple set-up for now (though I'm going to try to incorporate a sump if possible). I might even try to make my own rocks using directions from one of the DIY threads on RC. Might even attempt to construct my own stand/canopy, which is well beyond my realm of experience....hehe. We shall see!

I'll PM all of you who've made offers and arrange to get this stuff. Thanks so much!!!

~DREW
Old 05-12-2007, 02:44 AM

justinl is on a distinguished road

drew, i wish i was closer so i could donate something "concrete", but since im not, here's a recipe for aragocrete! this is basically concrete base rock, but a recipe that was made up by GARF... id trust it. Seems easy and i think ill try it one day. maybe a project to do with the kidies? could be messy though.

http://www.garf.org/MPegs/AragocreteArch.html
Old 05-12-2007, 05:25 AM

Zylumn is on a distinguished road

I have a 30 gal tall I'll donate with a top also a 20 gal for a sump. that is if you want to go that small, heater, prizm pro p skimmer more if I can dig it up. I will also help build a stand.
Kevin
Old 05-12-2007, 06:54 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Yes, too bad it is the wrong province as I would be more than happy to donate frags down the road of easy to keep corals....what a fantastic idea! I think it will help the kids to have something that they have to work at to make succeed and flourish!