Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 AM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road

i know u said water is stable but post ur parameters is nitrate or phosphate up at all ? Alk swings can cause this, nitrates can cause some colonies to be stressed and others look fine
Old 05-12-2015, 05:48 AM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
i know u said water is stable but post ur parameters is nitrate or phosphate up at all ? Alk swings can cause this, nitrates can cause some colonies to be stressed and others look fine
I've never tested nitrates in 10+ years. Gonna start testing nitrates when Hanna releases a handheld colorimeter if it's affordable.

Phosphates are .06 on a Hanna. This is low for my tank as po4 is usually .08-.10 in my tank over the last 4 years.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

You should probably test NO3. If it's steadily increased over the years, it could reach critical levels. PO4 is even a bit high IMO. I aim for 0.00, hoping to be under 0.03ppm. NO3, I aim for less than 1ppm
Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 AM

Hrm weird, is anything stinging them? I had two big colonies come close and ended up losing both to stn,
Old 05-12-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
You should probably test NO3. If it's steadily increased over the years, it could reach critical levels. PO4 is even a bit high IMO. I aim for 0.00, hoping to be under 0.03ppm. NO3, I aim for less than 1ppm
NO3 could be high as I haven't ever tested. I've always vinegar dosed to control nitrates but never tested. My aim has always been off on PO4 but corals have done well especially Sept-March with PO4 around .10. Tried gfo and fozdown but never been able to maintain PO4 in the "ideal" range.

This scare is gonna make me a better reefer as I've had a long lucky streak just doing large regular water changes. Just hope I don't loose anymore large colonies.

Last edited by Werbo; 05-12-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdillman View Post
Hrm weird, is anything stinging them? I had two big colonies come close and ended up losing both to stn,
It's possible but these corals have been intertwined and criss-crossing for almost 2 yrs with no issues.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:21 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

You may continue to lose them until you figure out why. Test anything you can. If you don't have a kit for NO3, drop by here with some water tomorrow night.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:34 AM

The steady rise in nitrates is what I'm battling now after really not testing it for like 2 years finally tested it and was presently surprised with decently high levels and started to notice high end acans and deep water acro just not looking as good ... maybe same thing for you?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
You may continue to lose them until you figure out why. Test anything you can. If you don't have a kit for NO3, drop by here with some water tomorrow night.
Ok thanks. Not tomorrow but soon. Very soon
Old 05-12-2015, 02:07 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werbo View Post
Dipped frags of the affected corals and didn't see any flatworms so not gonna panic quite yet.
Nothing you've said led me to believe you had AEFW. It's definitely something to check for though.

How's flow? Have you increased it over the years as the corals have grown?

A picture says a thousand words. Please try again, it really isn't that difficult. Go to www.photobucket.com and upload your pictures there. Use the links provided on Photobucket to post them here.

SPS fanatic.