Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
They didn't send new top parts? ?? That seems ... somewhat suboptimal...

For each one I've had to replace (a few now) I replaced the clear part and the top bracket it threads into (it's just held on the metal bracket by screws).
Yeah unfortunately Eli was trying to do me a favor and they did not come with the tops. I thought he was ordering them from BRS, but it obviously wasn't from them. They only come with the tops at BRS. But whateves. Just means i'll have to wait longer before using RO water. I wanted to water test with RO, but i'll just use tap water until the new canisters arrive.

Water testing the whole water changing system begins tonight!

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM

michika is on a distinguished road
Default The Permanent Upgrade - With fishroom!

Looking good!
Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Maybe Eli can get new tops? (Or did you already check into that..)
Old 05-10-2014, 03:49 AM
Gold Member

Water test on the water changing system was ridiculously successful! !! Would have been a full 40 gallon water change in under 4 minutes! No leaks!

Old 05-10-2014, 03:54 AM
Gold Member

Drain! Whirlpool

Old 05-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Kryptic4L is on a distinguished road

grats on the water change system. Best money A person can spend on equipment imho.

Yours looks very well thought out, If you ever have the desire to get rid of the electrical cord run through your house, I have been having good success with the wemo system from belkin. Just turn on and off my ro pump using my phone.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:12 AM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

This amount of flexibility makes me mad jelly.

I literally just spent the last 15 minutes following all the pipes in your tank/plumbing diagram. My only advice would be:

Find some way of labelling all those gate valves in a really in your face manner. By my count you've got to change the position of gate valves on different floors 12 times in a specific sequence to complete the entire circuit from water change, to salt water storage refill, to ATO refill. It's probably the weakest point in your system as it introduces the potential for absent-minded human error. In my system the same pump that empties my water change chamber also drives my GFO reactor. Since the GFO reactor is always running, I put two gate valves between the pump and the drain just to be safe. However, twice now I've gotten interrupted or distracted during a water change and opened the valve to my GFO reactor, turned the pump back on, and walked away without having closed the gate valves to the drain. Thankfully my ATO sounds like a bucket of water pouring in to a toilet so I've caught it really quickly both times, but I'm definitely the weakest link in the system I built.

In your case all it would take is absent-mindedly leaving that gate valve to the upstairs open when you refill the salt water storage bin to either empty half your RO container on to your upstairs floor, or in to your system depending on how you left the valves after the water change.

I know it adds cost and it's redundancy you'll probably never need, but if it were me, for peace of mind I'd want there to be one pump and a dedicated run of pipe just to bring salt water up to the water change tank, and another pump and run of pipe for the fresh water. That way you'd only need to worry about changing the position of two valves (Fill ATO reservoir or salt water reservoir), and they'd both be on the same floor and right in front of you when you needed to change the plumbing 'state'. That would also make it physically impossible to accidentally foul your stored fresh water with salt water.

I'd be constantly second guessing myself and running to the basement to make sure I wasn't filling my ATO reservoir with salt water the way it's set up. But then I'm an air head. Other people might not have the same challenges I cope with on a daily basis.

However, your system saves the need for a second pump and is a way more efficient use of pipe space. I'm still mad jelly, just make sure you're extra careful.

Last edited by asylumdown; 05-16-2014 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:00 PM
Gold Member

Thanks adam!

There is a chance of human error as usual. However the way I plan on doing this, will be in stages, so that there is less changing of valves all in one sequence. Hopefully, If I follow my plan, things won't go bad! I hope to mix my salt container a few days before the water change, so hopefully that would eliminate a mishap when turning valves.

The only real chance of failure here is the chance that I leave the valve to the RO bin open when filling the sump. I do plan on having a cheap/small controller for my water change system to control perameters in the future, so maybe I could also do a float switch that turns the Mag24 off when the level in the sump reaches a certain level. It might be an idea with or without a controller. I do have an old JBJ ATO with dual float switches that actually might work great for this! I will put it to use.

I also have built (not shown yet) two 1/2" overflows on the brutes that lead directly to the floor drain just in case they boil over. This will help if the float switches in my RO unit fail.

Hopefully by doing the water change in a span of a couple days (in regards to mixing the salt water before hand) it will eliminate a few chances of valve turning errors.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Gold Member

I got a small bit done last night. I was able to install the cord hiding panduit under the first sump to hide wires. This stuff is awesome! and so easy to work with. Sure did tidy everything up so far. Hides all the extra wire from the American DJ powerbars and extension cord for the water changing system nicely.

And yes.... eventually the underbelly will get a coat of paint lol

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 05-23-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:29 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Looks good, man. Love that panduit. Definitely the nicest way to clean up wiring.