Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-16-2014, 07:00 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking
Default Apatisia

well I battled it for a long time and then I got a Filefish. he ate them all and then started on my acans, and Zoo's so he was banned to my over flow sump. I go away for a month and come back from vacation my friend was feeding him and the tank and poof he is gone. now i have the buggers back again.. what else can i use. and whatthe heck is making them flourish
Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
well I battled it for a long time and then I got a Filefish. he ate them all and then started on my acans, and Zoo's so he was banned to my over flow sump. I go away for a month and come back from vacation my friend was feeding him and the tank and poof he is gone. now i have the buggers back again.. what else can i use. and whatthe heck is making them flourish
If you want to stay with natural solution there is a lot out there that will eat aiptasia but often with mixed results. I use peppermint shrimp and they keep my tank free of it but with the shrimp it's hit or miss some will eat aiptasia others will just look at it and often you have to buy 4 or more to be sure you will get at least one that will eat the aiptasia and unfortunately a lot of LFS carry Camel shrimp and pass them off as peppermints and camels do not eat aiptasia at all and I have both types of shrimp in my tank.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:36 AM
acanthastrea freak

yup may have to do some peppermint buying like a about 10 that should fix it :{
Old 09-17-2014, 02:16 AM

DigitalWeight is on a distinguished road

I had good luck with a Copperband Butterflyfish who made quick work of them and then some small pockets of bubble algae. Thankfully he has stayed away from my corals and just eats mysis and pellets and I suspect if aptasia start to sprout! I know these guys can be hit and miss but it worked for me.

My question is how you actually managed to net your filefish. I have a niger trigger who has a real digging habit that I have been trying to catch for a long time!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:26 AM

Kellyscoral is on a distinguished road

I got 2 peppermint shrimp for that reason - they did a good job and ate them all, now I target feed them chunks of frozen mussel with my forcepts to keep them from picking at my coral.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:24 AM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Get another filefish. Gus (my filefish) has finally taken care of my ongoing aiptasia problem. He now eats mysis with everyone else in the tank. Now if only he'd take out my paly plague!
Old 09-17-2014, 01:26 PM
acanthastrea freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalWeight View Post
I had good luck with a Copperband Butterflyfish who made quick work of them and then some small pockets of bubble algae. Thankfully he has stayed away from my corals and just eats mysis and pellets and I suspect if aptasia start to sprout! I know these guys can be hit and miss but it worked for me.

My question is how you actually managed to net your filefish. I have a niger trigger who has a real digging habit that I have been trying to catch for a long time!
I had no problem I have a cube with lots of open space. 36x36x21 so i just put the net in and follow him around and get him to a corner and wait a second for him to move and he goes up and the net follows him. I have always had good luck in netting my fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Get another filefish. Gus (my filefish) has finally taken care of my ongoing aiptasia problem. He now eats mysis with everyone else in the tank. Now if only he'd take out my paly plague!
ya my file fiosh ate all stuff in the tank but loved the acans and my scollies. now im about to loose my scollies now to much damage. its was like 1200 in scollies or 50 in a filefish
Old 09-19-2014, 02:38 PM

hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:

ya my file fiosh ate all stuff in the tank but loved the acans and my scollies. now im about to loose my scollies now to much damage. its was like 1200 in scollies or 50 in a filefish
Ouch! For $1200 I'd probably of filleted and eaten it.
J/K

I understand why you wouldn't want another one. Mine has been well behaved so far, hopefully he stays that way.

My other tank has a few small aiptasia next time I'm near a store I'll pick up a couple peppermints, until then it's aiptasia X.