Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfrontosa View Post
Hahhaha. Cool stuffs. Afnan has all high end. I knew it was a JD because I had it. and died in a tank crash.
I also killed a jd hoping I'll do better this round, first time it was my own fault.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Sweet updates, the fuge should help you out with the extra nutrients. The RFA spawning is pretty cool, do the colours usually come out the same each time?
Usually about 1/2 the babies will resemble there mother exactly or somewhat close . The rest are just a lottery they come out with new colours and patterns every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Ryan, why do you have nutrients? Pics don't look like you have many fish. JD is looking nice, you get it from Afnan too?
Lol I'm not sure why I have nutrients I don't think I have that many fish.
Chevron tang
2 clowns
4 lyretail anthias
4 springer damsels
That's it, I've always assumed it's from the chevron but I really don't know.
Last test read 17 ppb on hanna phosphorus (this was up to 31when I started the refugium)
N03 was .2 but a week ago it was 2.5-5 ppm on salifert. I'm trying to find a red sea pro nitrate kit atm localaly, im done with this salifert test kit.

The jd came from the east I've been asked to not publicly say who it came from, i think this piece is getting rarer by the day in Canada as its going for 2k a 1/2" in the us, I've seen pics of jd frags going south shit I would do the same if I could at that price. Really hoping for the best with this one looks like it's encrusting already
Old 04-16-2017, 05:23 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
Lol I'm not sure why I have nutrients I don't think I have that many fish.
Chevron tang
2 clowns
4 lyretail anthias
4 springer damsels
That's it, I've always assumed it's from the chevron but I really don't know.
Last test read 17 ppb on hanna phosphorus (this was up to 31when I started the refugium)
N03 was .2 but a week ago it was 2.5-5 ppm on salifert. I'm trying to find a red sea pro nitrate kit atm localaly, im done with this salifert test kit.

The jd came from the east I've been asked to not publicly say who it came from, i think this piece is getting rarer by the day in Canada as its going for 2k a 1/2" in the us, I've seen pics of jd frags going south shit I would do the same if I could at that price. Really hoping for the best with this one looks like it's encrusting already
So are you wanting NO3 lower than the 2.5-5 ppm that it was? I'm dosing KNO3 to try to get that high!

Which foods do you feed? That may contribute to the PO4. 17 ppm is 0.05 ppm, that's the target I'm dosing to too! Could we switch some water around?

USD$2K? Can't say I've seen it over USD$1200 in the US. Weird that the price is going UP rather than down. I'd spend that on a fish, but not a coral. Though I guess a coral gives you the chance to recoop cost.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:09 PM

Mindy I agree my nutrients are about right but what I didn't add was I previously was using 250ml of rowa every 14 days to keep phosphate at this level and after dosing fluconazole to kill bryopsis I've had hair algae start growing in a few spots mainly on zoa frags. So I'm hoping the refugium will help keep the phosphates low without the rowa and also hoping the refugium will become the ideal spot in the system for algae to grow and die off in my display. I feed vitalis marine pellets twice a day that's it. Guessing my aquaforest foods add nutrients also.

As for jd check out big r corals I think this guy has the best looking colony around definitely inspired me.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:38 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Wow, yeah that's a lot of RowaPhos! So where the heck is all the PO4 coming from? Your tank is setup up in a fashion you'd think it would be nutrient-poor. What do you have for clean up crew?

The Aquaforest foods (Amino Mix, Build, Energy, and Vitality) are designed for use after achieving ULNS so you can tweak exactly how you want nutrients in your tank. You're not supposed to use them in tanks with nutrients. Also "Energy" has copper in it which promotes the pastel look, so if you're looking for rich colors, don't use Energy.

Yeah that Big R Corals guy has a lot of nice stuff. Too bad he's in Texas (iirc).

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Wow, yeah that's a lot of RowaPhos! So where the heck is all the PO4 coming from? Your tank is setup up in a fashion you'd think it would be nutrient-poor. What do you have for clean up crew?

The Aquaforest foods (Amino Mix, Build, Energy, and Vitality) are designed for use after achieving ULNS so you can tweak exactly how you want nutrients in your tank. You're not supposed to use them in tanks with nutrients. Also "Energy" has copper in it which promotes the pastel look, so if you're looking for rich colors, don't use Energy.

Yeah that Big R Corals guy has a lot of nice stuff. Too bad he's in Texas (iirc).
For clean up crew is have or had 60 lefty hermits 3 turbos 3 yellow ring cowries 8 trochus snails and a conch. I'm pretty sure I had phosphate in the live rock i used and it's leaching out but only a guess. So with the af foods I do amino and vitality 1 drop of each every second night and only the build on the alternative night also at one drop. Recomended dose is 5 drops on my system Im going super light because of my nutrients and yeah I don't use the energy as it has copper in it. I use kz coral Vitalizer instead as I think it's somewhat the same minus the copper.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

The problem could be your nitrates.

Get a Red Sea Pro nitrate test kit. Reef Supplies sell it. I found the salifert test kit sucks when measuring below 5ppm.

Find out exactly what your nitrates are. I was having a problem with phosphates off the chart on a similar low fish bioload system. Once I got my nitrates to 1.5ppm I was able to take the GFO off line and now have acceptable level of phosphate without any GFO
Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
The problem could be your nitrates.

Get a Red Sea Pro nitrate test kit. Reef Supplies sell it. I found the salifert test kit sucks when measuring below 5ppm.

Find out exactly what your nitrates are. I was having a problem with phosphates off the chart on a similar low fish bioload system. Once I got my nitrates to 1.5ppm I was able to take the GFO off line and now have acceptable level of phosphate without any GFO
Thanks I'm on this as I think you may be right