Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-24-2015, 06:49 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretch View Post
Stick it out and see what happens? Just have someone ready to take one if needed. Hoping for the best.
Mostly the plan for now. Except the part of having someone ready to take one of needed I keep them full, there is a good size difference, and they seem like friends for now, so I'll try and stick it out.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:51 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samw View Post
Again, died overnight. Both at the same time. DO level is always at its lowest at night when lights out after several hours. As I said before, strong flow does not equal high DO. Obviously, I don't know the setup and am just speculating, but the only way to know for sure what the DO levels are from 2am-6am is with a DO monitor/meter which almost no one uses. The sudden death overnight of both animals is a clue. Why always at night? DO levels fluctuate wildly from day to day, night to night. But the lowest levels are always at night after lights out for several hours and the levels each night are different. I've had my levels go from 125% saturation during the day to something like 35% at night even with skimmer on. Some nights I get 40%. Nowadays, I think I'm getting closer to 80% at night since I have no algae and deploy a UV sterilizer. There are countless things that affect DO.
Ya, I don't know the system either. I do know he has a lot less algae, but a lot more coral. And his idea of strong flow might not be mine. Currently my bulbs are covered in salt from splashing, and they're a foot off the water. My flow heavily breaks the surface 24/7. Without a DO meter tho, no real way to tell what happens over night.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:55 AM
Just a guy..

I recall now that he doses H2O2, which reduces the amount of DO in solution, so maybe significant?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:03 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I recall now that he doses H2O2, which reduces the amount of DO in solution, so maybe significant?
Could be a big factor
So you know there's a home for one here, right ? Just in case you need to make a trip to J&L ...

Just kidding
If I really wanted one I could go local

Last edited by gregzz4; 04-24-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Could be a big factor
So you know there's a home for one here, right ? Just in case you need to make a trip to J&L ...
Keep in mind these things have a recommended tank size of 200g I wouldn't add one to a 75g.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:35 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I wouldn't add one to a 75g.
Me either. I have enough challenges as it is.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

IF stuck having to choose which one to give away, my thoughts would always be the biggest and strongest. The one with the most chance of surviving somewhere else.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
IF stuck having to choose which one to give away, my thoughts would always be the biggest and strongest. The one with the most chance of surviving somewhere else.
Somewhat agree. The bigger is a more robust specimen, and much fatter, AND, he seems more annoyed with the smaller tank. But, the smaller guy is still on my worry list whether he'll put on some weight. So I could end up giving the survivor away and losing the one I keep. This could change over the next month, so we'll see. Hopefully they stay buddies and I can keep both. Not counting on that though..
Old 04-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ya, I don't know the system either. I do know he has a lot less algae, but a lot more coral. And his idea of strong flow might not be mine. Currently my bulbs are covered in salt from splashing, and they're a foot off the water. My flow heavily breaks the surface 24/7. Without a DO meter tho, no real way to tell what happens over night.
It would be really interesting to see what the actual DO is reading. I think we should get canreef to sponsor one.... I mean if indeed this is the case that caused a pair of well fed fish into their untimely demise then we might be onto something here. This could potentially save a lot of heartache for a lot of us in this hobby.

Sam, you think you will be able to get your hands on one of them meters?

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 04-24-2015, 05:27 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Me either. I have enough challenges as it is.
JL has some but don't try to quarantine it, it will just die....

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013