Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 PM

fiorano is on a distinguished road
Default zoa placement

I have a 14 gallon biocube with a 12 k panorama pro module and a royal blue panorama blue panorama pro module along with a blue magenta stunner strip. I have the blue and the white on seperate power supplies with dimmers and I like the look of much more blue than the whites but was wondering if the blues are only for looks or do they actually help with vrowth too. ? And do you guys think having the lights on full blast is to much for zoas in here? Because my aog colony is starting to lose some of the red color. Thanks for any advice and I guess I should post pics of my new setup!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Vendor

Reef Supplies is on a distinguished road

They do well in the lower levels. They can however flourish mid to mid-high if you acclimate them showily.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca
Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

are the LEDs a recent upgrade?.....could be light shock if they LEDs were a recent upgrade......as for placement.....its almost impossible to recommend where to place them......zoas are collected from an incredibly wide range of "zones"......anywhere from tidal zones that get exposed to the air at low tide to deep water zones that get relatively little light.....best thing Ive found, is to glue frags to a medium sized piece of rock that you can move around to see where your zoas are happy......
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 02-29-2012, 12:17 AM

fiorano is on a distinguished road

I've had them for about 2 months I would say so they are not that new. They are open fine and everythig it just seems that they are turninf brown... should I try a dimmer maybe? I just want to make sure they get enough light
Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

This is really difficult to tell. Different variety of zoanthids require very different level of light.

I have pink and gold that require being almost touching the light and if it does not then it lose it's nice gold and pink color and become ugly brown. I have others that if I even put them in the full light at the bottom of the tank they shrink.

It's not one size fit all I am afraid.

Usually palythoas require high light. Small zoanthids like the zoanthus sociatus require low to medium light. Yet I have some orange bam bam that only do well right under my MH.