Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 PM

fiorano is on a distinguished road
Default rodi weirdness

So I didn't have a tank running for about a year so and now I have my little biocube up and going. However I just decided to check the tds coming out of the rodi and it is sitting at 10 ppm whereas even the tap water is only 6 ppm. So do you guys think maybe the di membrane had dried out while it was sitting? And if so would I have to replace all the filters or just the di? The crappy thing is that I already have my tank running with clowns and snails lol.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:53 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

i find it hard to believe your tap water is 6 ppm, we have good water here and it is 180 ppm, i don't think your TDS meter is correct.
you want 0 anyway
Old 01-21-2012, 09:02 PM

imisky is on a distinguished road

It all depends on where you live, here in Langley, 1 city away from abbostford, my TDS is at 5-13 depending on how much rain we get, TDS checked with 4+ tds meters. BC water is surprisingly good, thats why some get away with tap water for softies and LPS.

as for the RODI unit, did you backflush it? is there a restricting valve for the waste water on the unit that's fully closed?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:09 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Did you change any of the plumbing? If not, then run 5-10 gals through it and test again.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisky View Post
It all depends on where you live, here in Langley, 1 city away from abbostford, my TDS is at 5-13 depending on how much rain we get, TDS checked with 4+ tds meters. BC water is surprisingly good, thats why some get away with tap water for softies and LPS.

as for the RODI unit, did you backflush it? is there a restricting valve for the waste water on the unit that's fully closed?
WOW!, I'm from ontario, we consider that PURE water here, i would be ashamed to flush the toilet.
my TDS is 8 after a 1 micron particle filter, a 5 micron carbon block, a catalytic GAC canister, a 1 micron carbon block and a spectapure RO membrane.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 PM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

As Eugene said, backflushing may help.. and maybe let it run for a couple of hours.

I just checked my TDS out of the tap and I'm at 6 right now. Yes we have pretty good water here out west. It also rains a lot so we get a lot of water.

Your RO membrane should last for a few years out here. I change my DI after about a year or so.

Can you check your ppm after the RO and before the DI?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM

imisky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal_stir View Post
WOW!, I'm from ontario, we consider that PURE water here, i would be ashamed to flush the toilet.
my TDS is 8 after a 1 micron particle filter, a 5 micron carbon block, a catalytic GAC canister, a 1 micron carbon block and a spectapure RO membrane.
TDS after my 3 pre filters drops down to about 2-3. Ive been in the hobby for about 8 years now and Ive only changed my RO membrane 1x and DI resin 1x.

like everyone else suggested you might need to flush the system (by pass the RO membrane) if the carbon in your pre-filters are new it'll cause your TDS to go up, and check for any blockage in the waste line, I had tried to get 0.5:1 waste to RODI ratio out of my unit before by restricting the waste water and instead of doing what I wanted it to do it did the opposite (should have been bluntly obvious that it wouldn't work but I thought I'd try anyways)
Old 01-22-2012, 01:34 AM

I've been in the hobby @ 2 years and have changed all my filters and resin at least 5x and my membrane 1x, I run a 9 stage RODI and change the filters and resin when TDS reads 1ppm
Old 01-22-2012, 04:17 AM

doch is on a distinguished road

WOW! If my tap water was 6ppm, I wouldn't even bother with RO/DI. I've been running my tank now for 2 years and just recently set up an RO/DI, and my tap water is at 170ppm.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM

fiorano is on a distinguished road
Smile

I let it run for a few gallons and I tested 0 to 1 ppm so I thonk it just needed that! Thanks for all yhe help guys. However since I downgraded from my 125 to a biocube I am probably just going to run one of those small tap water pruifiers. So if anyone wants to by a rodi unit let me know! And thanks for the assistance.