Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 10-25-2016, 01:21 PM

Humpty is on a distinguished road
Default New pump and plumbing

So i have a 180g tank with what I believe is 2-1.5" overflows and 2 - 1" bulk heads for return lines. I have a queitone 6000 that is on its way out and I was looking at replacing it with a Jebao DCS 9000. Jebao says it does 2300gph and has a native 1.5" connection. My return line is plumbed in 3/4" line. Im assuming I should redo the return line plumbing to all be 1". Is 1" line going to be enough to run this pump properly? If the bulkhead is 1",is there really any use in doing bigger line before the bulkhead? Will a pump with that kind of flow work with 3/4" line?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:50 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

While they don't have your specific pump to choose from you could pick a similar one and play around with this head loss calculator to see roughly how much flow you will lose by going with smaller diameter plumbing. http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php...oss-calculator

In my opinion it would be a waste of money/electricity to use small plumbing with a large pump. My 120gal and now 225gal have used a Reeflo Dart with 1.5" plumbing for the return line. You could run 1.5" as your return and then T it into two 1" lines for the bulkheads.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 10-25-2016, 02:10 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Since you have two return lines, I'd use 1.5" from the pump to a tee where it splits to each return. I'd try to get that tee as close to the bulkheads as is feasible. Run the 1.5" right into a 1.5" tee, then slip a 1.5" by 1" reducer bushing into each output, and run 1" from there to your bulkheads. Depending on how it ends up getting plumbed, I often like to put a ball valve on whichever return line is shorter/straighter so I can throttle it back so it gets even flow with the other one (if that matters to you).

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:11 PM

So you are suggesting that I just run 1 return pump and tee it into both return bulkheads?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty View Post
So you are suggesting that I just run 1 return pump and tee it into both return bulkheads?
Yes, though I'd suggest you have a second pump ready to go. You can switch them out to clean them. Super handy. One is hooked up and working, then other one is disconnected and cleaned, and ready for the next change out. Then when one craps out, you won't be in a big panic to find one. Plus it will be a long weekend, and everything will be closed, and you'll end up paying $40 in express shipping to get it asap because that's how return pump breakdowns happen.

At 5 ft head pressure and some fittings it looks like you'll have about 1400 gph according to the chart I found. If you have 30-50 gallons in your sump that gives you 6-6.6x turnover through the sump. I usually aim for 3-6x turnover, so you're good to go. If you go too fast through the sump you'll get microbubbles in the display, and it's a waste of electricity because the skimmer can only process so much water, so providing it with more dirty water than it can process is a waste.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:23 PM

oops i didnt see the above post before i posted the last one.
So if i am running one pump instead of 2 should i get a bigger one? maybe the jebao dc12000.
What kind of flowrate should I be looking for? At the moment I am running 2 quietone 6000s, but according to the flow chart I am only getting about 750gph out of each. I have a 180g tank and 80g sump.
It looks like a dc12000 plumbed like you said would get more flow rate then 2 quietones the way they are now.
Currently i have a reef octopus 5000sss skimmer.

Last edited by Humpty; 10-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:23 PM

Also, you have two drain lines that are both 1.5"? Are you planning a Herbie silent drain? I hope so.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty View Post
I have a 180g tank and 80g sump
So is the sump half full? About 40 gallons in the sump?? See the above post for the flow rates I calculated for you.

SPS fanatic.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:01 PM

the overflows are in each corner. I have the stockman setup. and yes the sump is just over half full. Those flow rates were for the dc9000?
I just double checked and it looks like I have 3/4" return lines. Does that change the flowrate?

Last edited by Humpty; 10-25-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:02 AM

dustinc is on a distinguished road

I have a DCS9000 plumbed into a single 1" return... it does come with an adapter for 3/4" but I wouldn't go with a single 3/4"... I only run mine at 60%