Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 01-06-2010, 04:26 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Here's a quick shot of the foaming action in the holding tank. I think it is ready for my sump today...

Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Kicks the crap outa my DIY recirc skimmer LOL

What size is your tank again?

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
PS, I see alot of either Knock Off's OR, the true product that we buy here, only rebadged for North American sale. eg, the SunSun Vibration Pump in the wavemakers section. Looks an awefully like a Koralia 2. AND they even say it used Hydor tech!!! So, did they copy Hydor, Or, is the Koralia's we buyu just rebadged SunSun's?
Yeah, I see lots of people complaining about the quality of Chinese products but most of the products we buy are made in China. Somebody once told me a credible story about how Ralph Lauren would put an order in for 100,000 Polo shirts to the factory in Taiwan or wherever it was. The factory would charge $X per shirt plus the tooling up costs. They would then run off 125,000 shirts, 100,000 with the Polo label on them and put their own label on the extra 25,000 shirts which would sell at a fraction of the cost of the polo shirt. Same shirt, different label.

Now, that being said, there may definitely be some difference in the quality of parts used etc. for equipment depending on who is designing the specs. But a skimmer is pretty straightforward and these look very well put together. Nicer then a standard Vertex or Octopus etc. I haven't had a good look at a Bubble King or the new vertex cones in the flesh to compare but I doubt the BK is 5 times better then the BM. As for the Koralia pumps, just look at the box and it should tell you where it is made. I don't have one handy here. The Maxi-jet box I have says made in Italy. But the parts could come from China and we know how Italian cars are built so maybe that's not a great selling point
Old 01-06-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
Kicks the crap outa my DIY recirc skimmer LOL

What size is your tank again?
75 gallons plus about 10 or 12 gallons in the sump. Tank is lightly stocked right now too with 2 small clowns, a six line wrasse, a neon dottyback and a small kole tang. This skimmer is probably overkill but I wanted something that will allow for more stock and coral feeding etc.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:45 PM

wisesam is on a distinguished road

I am using the exact same unit and I am very happy with the performance.
The mesh wheel really gives out consistent fine bubbles. This unit skims very consistantly. One thing though is the plastic part on the pump that connects the intake piece cracked as I screw it in too much.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:54 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Ya I would love to see a BK in person, compare it to the BM. I sure don't think BK are worth the price from what I have seen in pictures. Just because it's made in Germany, or Italy, does that automatically make it best? And ya Individually hand crafted, be it skimmers or cars, sure does jack up the price, due to the labour involved. BUT, no way can a human ever get the precise repeatability as a machine. To build a few things exactly the same is great, To build 1,000,000 things exactly the same, that takes a machine

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Finally got this into my sump. Having some mesh impeller issues that apparently aren't uncommon but it looks like replacements will be sent out to me. It's been running a little over 24 hours now.

Been pulling some nice dark skimmate already even with the minor impeller issue. This is 24 hours worth from a lightly stocked 75 gallon tank.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

oh kickass! What is the minor issue? Is that a Sicce or Atman in there?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
oh kickass! What is the minor issue? Is that a Sicce or Atman in there?
Advertised that it has the ATMAN..
http://www.reefshops.com/bubble-magus-bm-nac6.html

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I have the BMQQ for my nano tank. It's great!! I got my stuff from www.nuocean.com and they were very reasonable for shipping and everything. I see even Reefspecialty in the US is starting to carry the BM line as they've been solid performers, especially for the price.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.