Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 PM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Cheaper than the Tunze 9002 which I seriously doubt can touch this one performance wise just based on design. I did use the Tunze and hated it.
What bugged you about the Tunze?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
What bugged you about the Tunze?
I didn't like the pump after a while because it wouldn't start up properly. The design is not great when you consider the height and also the contact time for the bubbles. Its basically pushing bubbles through a tube into a tiny neck if I remember correctly. I was not impressed at all with the performance.

Oh and it was MORE expensive than the Euro Reef by $20 or so.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I didn't like the pump after a while because it wouldn't start up properly. The design is not great when you consider the height and also the contact time for the bubbles. Its basically pushing bubbles through a tube into a tiny neck if I remember correctly. I was not impressed at all with the performance.

Oh and it was MORE expensive than the Euro Reef by $20 or so.
Looking forward to your review. The Euroreef for the CadLights is $70 more than the Tunze.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 PM

VFX is on a distinguished road

The Euro Reef has only been running for a few weeks & I'm still in micro bubble land but at least the over filling collection cup thing stopped after a week or so.

I've had no problems with the Tunze 9002 I'm running on my 20G. I've only got a tiny frogfish, a yellow goby & a cleaner shrimp in there so maybe I'm not taxing it too much.

To early to tell but so far the Euro Reef seems a much better product in terms of performance & price.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Looking forward to your review. The Euroreef for the CadLights is $70 more than the Tunze.
Yes I believe that one is a dual pump model!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
The Euro Reef has only been running for a few weeks & I'm still in micro bubble land but at least the over filling collection cup thing stopped after a week or so.

I've had no problems with the Tunze 9002 I'm running on my 20G. I've only got a tiny frogfish, a yellow goby & a cleaner shrimp in there so maybe I'm not taxing it too much.

To early to tell but so far the Euro Reef seems a much better product in terms of performance & price.

I already fixed the micro bubble problem for the most part. I have LR rubble and chaeto in the middle which helps but now I also put a piece of eggcrate ontop of that and put my bag of carbon on it. It traps a lot of the bubbles.

I also stretched out the chaeto to cover more area and catch more bubbles.

Still get some in the tank but its only be a few days. Hopefully it will calm down.

I may put a sponge or some sort of bubble trap in the middle section eventually.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:08 AM

LeeR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LeeR

what the over all hight of this thing? and what water depth is needed?
Old 11-21-2009, 03:36 PM

blaster is on a distinguished road

Do you have to have the top open for these skimmers,if so to me they are useless.I'm just setting up a nano 29biocube and am in the market for a skimmer.I want everything hidden though,if the skimmer has to sit on the outside of the tank i can get a oversized hangon.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:47 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

GSP, what are the overall dimensions on this thing? I too dislike my 9002 - I feel like it could be doing a lot better than it is. I guess I'll wait a while to see how your unit is working out
Old 11-21-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacheteAvenue View Post
what the over all hight of this thing? and what water depth is needed?
The height is 24". Im not sure yet about the water depth but its working in about 8" right now I think. Its designed specifically for the Solana, but you can get many different ones (design is similar for each) for different nanos. They kind of custom made different models to fit the AIO tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster View Post
Do you have to have the top open for these skimmers,if so to me they are useless.I'm just setting up a nano 29biocube and am in the market for a skimmer.I want everything hidden though,if the skimmer has to sit on the outside of the tank i can get a oversized hangon.
It would be useless to you then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpchips View Post
GSP, what are the overall dimensions on this thing? I too dislike my 9002 - I feel like it could be doing a lot better than it is. I guess I'll wait a while to see how your unit is working out
I was not impressed with the 9002 at all and I had only 3 small fish in the tank at the time. It really should have been able to handle that. Most of all though I just found it inconsistent.

The EuroReef is still breaking in, so nothing new to say. I have it running in the tank without the collection cup on right now. Euro Reef said to try that for about 5-7 days and then it should start to run properly (ie. won't overflow in a matter of minutes).

24" tall and I think I heard 3.5" "wide" but I would have to measure the body.