Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 AM

chris121277 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
They are in very bad shape and they will probably die if the conditions are not changed.
I think that might be a little extreme, I've been growing most of these corals for 4+ years and last few months I've gotten better growth and color then ever.

Now, I'm not denying that they may be a little pale/bleached...that being said I do appreciate the input on coral foods.....I've always been taught that SPS's don't need any other then fish poo....and I will be looking into some.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've never directly fed corals "coral food", only feed the fish and they take care of fertilizing. I did notice loss of vibrance for the period where I was without fish.
I don't think you're in immediate danger of them dying, although I would guess they are in a weakened state and that might have something to do with the tissue loss.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM

reefermadness is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I've never directly fed corals "coral food", only feed the fish and they take care of fertilizing. I did notice loss of vibrance for the period where I was without fish.
I don't think you're in immediate danger of them dying, although I would guess they are in a weakened state and that might have something to do with the tissue loss.
+1
Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 PM

The coral that has tissue loss has only been in my tank for a few days....so I do suspect that it's due to stress from the move to it's new home....this coral is quite brown so I don't believe that it is bleached.

But now that you guys mention it I do noticed that alot of my SPS's are very pail. So I've backed my day lighting off to about 7 hours....but I can't help but wonder if the new bulbs will make a difference them selves in a few weeks...

My old bulbs were only 3 months old but for day light I had
1-6500k Giesseman
1-1000k Current
2-1400k Giesseman

And my new day bulbs

2-ATI 1200k

What promoted me to change out my not so old bulbs was this Article by CoralProps in witch he say's that some of the bulbs I was running had a tendency to brown out some corals and stress others.

http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/t5spectrums.html

My thought behind this is that I don't want to make to many changes all at once...then if something get's better or worse I won't know exactly what it was to change it.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
Have you dipped to confirm you don't have any AEFW?

Hey Greg,

Your a T-5 guy are you not? Just wondering.....if this was one of your tanks with an 8 bulb fixture over it....what bulbs and configuration would you run?

The tank is only 20" deep so how about height off the water?

Thanx, appreciate everyone's input here
Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM

I think we have gotten to the point where good skimmers are very affordable...people are trying carbon dosing, gfo etc and I'm seeing many people with the the same symptoms. In fact I've helped quite a few and all of them have improvement after listening to my advise.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
I think we have gotten to the point where good skimmers are very affordable...people are trying carbon dosing, gfo etc and I'm seeing many people with the the same symptoms. In fact I've helped quite a few and all of them have improvement after listening to my advise.

Oh I forgot to mention that I'm increasing my feeding as well.....and I am listening don't you worry LOL

So, the other people have had the SPS's pale after starting Bio pellets?.....see I've been unsure as to what has started the change in my corals (changed to many things at once) I started Pellets and upgraded my lights, switched to H20 pro salt, and changed my flow all at the same time
Old 04-30-2012, 04:35 PM

Yes....people have reported similar results from biopellets. Also you can get bleaching from new bulbs as well....

In the simplest of terms coral lightening/bleaching/paleness is from too much light and/or too little food/nutrients. Coral browning is the opposite....not enough light and/or too much food/nutrients.

Gotta find that sweat spot!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 PM

ottoman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefermadness View Post
Yes....people have reported similar results from biopellets. Also you can get bleaching from new bulbs as well....

In the simplest of terms coral lightening/bleaching/paleness is from too much light and/or too little food/nutrients. Coral browning is the opposite....not enough light and/or too much food/nutrients.

Gotta find that sweat spot!
+1...totally agree...Before I feed less to control nutrients, but after I run biopellets, I have to feed more because the cycle is taking out the nutrients much faster from the system.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Ultra low nutrients systems do tend to make coral pastel in color but nowhere near the bleaching you have. Corals are actually very colorfull and saturated in color in a ULN.

I don't see much if any color in your corals. They should very saturated in color.

Look at any zeovit sytem and you will see how they should be in a ULN. IN a system with nitrates and phosphates like mine, they don't have to be brown. Mine are very colorfull, just darker in color and very far from brown, but I do feed them coral food each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris121277 View Post
Oh I forgot to mention that I'm increasing my feeding as well.....and I am listening don't you worry LOL

So, the other people have had the SPS's pale after starting Bio pellets?.....see I've been unsure as to what has started the change in my corals (changed to many things at once) I started Pellets and upgraded my lights, switched to H20 pro salt, and changed my flow all at the same time