Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Douglas is on a distinguished road
Default RO replacement cartrige

Are replacement cartriges a standard thing for RO units? I've always bought mine through a aquarium supply store, but can i get these replacment cartriges from, Rona, or home depot? Are they standard? Just curious.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:05 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

They are standardized but you'll probably be able to find a higher quality membrane for less through an aquarium place. I did a quick look and Home Depot carries a 24gpd membrane for $75 http://www.homedepot.ca/product/r-o-...embrane/923084 J&L also sells a 24gpd membrane for $59.95 http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ro...29+Filter.html If you need a higher flow membrane like a 75gpd or 100gpd you may not be able to find it at a hardware store. If you order a few items to split up the shipping, the prices on Bulk Reef Supply are even better.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 06-04-2011, 02:22 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

If there's an Andrew Sheret in Cgy they may have them, as well as JG fittings, tubing, poly replacement filters etc. I've also found a few pure water vendors carrying parts for RO systems. You just need to look around a bit. Might cost a few dollars more, but don't have to wait & if there's an issue, it's much easier to go back to the local vendor if you can find one.

Edit: My bad, I guess Andrew Sheret is a BC outfit only, no vendors in Alberta or points east. Not sure you can order from their web sites.

Last edited by mike31154; 06-04-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:06 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

also pay attention the the GPD for the rejection rate. Below cut from here

Difference between the 50, 75, 100 & 150 GPD membranes?
The major difference, besides how much water they can make, is the rejection rate. Normally, the lower the GPD volume, the higher the removal rate is.

The 50 and 75 GPD membranes have about the same rejection rate of 97%. The 100 GPD has about a 90% rejection rate. The 150 GPD membrane is a different story. It allows for high volume without a big drop in the rejection rate. It has about a 97% - 99% rejection rate.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:06 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Are replacement cartriges a standard thing for RO units? I've always bought mine through a aquarium supply store, but can i get these replacment cartriges from, Rona, or home depot? Are they standard? Just curious.
find a good plumbing supply place and you can usaly get them cheeper than a LFS if you can get the contractor discount.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.