Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 01-08-2009, 02:50 AM

jasond is on a distinguished road
Default Computer help - Calgary

Just wondering if there is anyone that is good with PC's that could lend a hand. I have a Sony desktop intel P4, 2.4ghz that needs a good cleanup/tuneup. It is quite slow and glitchy, and I give up trying to fix it. I am not a computer buff, but I am guessing there are some virus's that I cant get out, and maybe a reload of windows?

Willing to pay or could even trade for some frags . I know you can go to Future shop etc etc but thought I would start here first.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 01-08-2009, 06:17 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Is there anything on it you need to keep? Reinstalling Windows will lose all of it, just something to keep in mind. If it's just a reinstall you'd like, I can help you with the reinstall, but I'm not too sure when we could hook up seeing as we're on opposite ends of the city
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 AM

Pan is on a distinguished road

windows NEEDS to be re-installed after awhile. Google it.
Other than that grab oodefrag run it (it has a trial) find a program called ccleaner (crap cleaner) run it. delete fonts you don't use, and uninstall programs you don't use. google speedup windows....there is a lot of help on it and most is worth something. If you are uncofortable with computers though don't use any of the registry hacks unless you really know what they do.
easy peasy
oh run a program called S&d Spybot, install a good anti-virus, then a good firewall....mostly to check what is trying to connect FROM your computer as opposed to TO your computer. Download and install Nod antivirus run it when i scans your whole computer delete it and install avast home edition, its free an very good...nod is better but costs money. The install comodo firewall, its free as well. Install these after you have checked for spyware and virii...grab a program called hijack this, run it and post the results to their forum, if there is a problem in its output...trust me someone will let you know.

if you have any more questions just ask....

Last edited by Pan; 01-08-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM

Thank-you Tony, I may take you up on that (I would make the trek to the far far south)

Olnobodaddy...thank you very much for your input, I will try tonight what you have suggested (these types of things I can handle). I currently do have spybot and use AVG antivirus as well, and have run them lots. I thought by having an external hard drive (to store pics, music, etc) this would help speed things up, but doesnt seem to have. As well, I do have a router which I was told would help against virus's...same thing there, didnt notice much help.

Anyways thanks again guys, I appreciate it.

Jason
Old 01-08-2009, 02:38 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Just a note, sometimes it is the Anti Virus application that throttles your computer and slows it down.... it takes time to scan incoming/outgoing traffic. Most AV programs have options as to the level of security to apply and the higher the security, the slower the machine...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

*cough*buy a mac*cough*
Old 01-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
*cough*buy a mac*cough*
Haha, seen that coming..

I looked at buying a new computer, but I will first try my best to get this one fixed. I am not a huge gamer or anything, so my needs are not huge. Just lots of canreef surfing
Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

If you suspect you have virus and can't clean it confidently. Save your documents, bookmarks and wipe the machine.

Oh and upgrade the RAM if you have $100.00 you want to put into the machine. Minimum 1GB but 2GB would be better.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:34 PM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road
Default linux?

Just a though from a linux geek:

Get a copy of kubuntu on cd, save everything important to the external drive, and install it instead. You can get the install CD free by downloading it, or having it shipped to your house for free as well (ubuntu.com)

The install is easy enough that my wife did her own laptop, just put the cd in the drive and boot the machine. You have to answer about 6 questions (your name, timezone, password, etc..) and it does the standard install with firefox, openoffice and a bunch of other stuff.

If you are planning on wiping the machine, there is not much to lose by trying. And linux doesn't require A/V software or anything like that (much like a mac). It is much quicker, and doesn't require the usual maintenance that windows does at all (spybot/AV/defrag/cleaners). Just use and enjoy.

Disclaimer: I'm a linux sysadmin, running 4,500 linux machines in a public school system. I think if a 6 year old can run it just fine, most people should be OK
Old 01-08-2009, 03:53 PM

Interesting, so you can still run all of the same programs with Linux? Word, Excel, etc? Sounds like I could handle the install, so worth a try. Thank-you, I will do some research but definately sounds appealing. What are the drawbacks?

I have definately heard that wiping the machine is a worthwhile try, so maybe I will give it a shot. One thing I dont understand, I thought if your PC had a virus, even reloading windows will not necessarily get rid of it?