Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 PM

Mike Olson is on a distinguished road
Default Hydroids-HELP!

I am trying to find out if there is anyway to kill off hydroids off of live rock and still maintain 'live rock'! I dont want to have cook or dry out 200 lbs. of nice rock. Hopefully there is someone out there who has a better solution!
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/dat...vember_007.jpg
180g tank(6x2x2) w/170lbs LR, 2-250W 1-400W Halides, 2-3ft t5 Actinics,H&S 1260 200 Skimmer, 1-Tunze 6000stream w/controller, 1-6060stream, 70g sump, 30g refugium Neptune controller, Sequence Hammerhead inline return, Lifeguard 25W UV, 1-Tunze osmolator, 1-Tunze wavebox, 1/4Hp Pacific Coast chiller, MarineTech calcium reactor

Last edited by Mike Olson; 01-21-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

[quote=Mike Olson;379081]I am trying to find out if there is anyway to kill off hydroids

"PREPARATION H"
I'm sorry! Couldn't help myself.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Couple potential solutions here. Unfortunately there is no real silver bullet.

1. Scrape them off manually.
2. Cover them with epoxy.
3. Blowtorch (no, seriously. It's something I was considering myself)
4. Pressure washer.
5. Used to have them all over the place, One day I noticed I had hardly any in my 75g, but still had them in other tanks. After researching it a little, found that Centropyge angels can sometimes pick at them. I have a potter's angel. That said, I've never noticed her picking at hydroids specifically, but I thought it interesting to note that all of a sudden I didn't have as many in the tank she's in. Could be coincidence, but still noteworthy.

Good luck. In the grand scheme of things there are worse things to get but they're still quite annoying to look at especially when they spread all over the place.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

This advice kind of differs depending upon which type of hydroid you have but . . .

I panicked when I had them about a year ago and kalked them, changed flow, etc. all to no avail. Then I read somewhere on RC (I think it was on RC) to just let them be and eventually they'll die off. The information I read basically said that at some point in your reef's development it will have conditions perfectly suited to keep them alive and they will thrive briefly. But if you were to try to keep them alive at another point in time you would fail miserably. So I just let them be and they died off within a month never to appear again.

What kind of hydroids do you have? Do you have any pics?
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 01-21-2009, 05:08 AM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

i have a few small patches that haven't caused any problems but when i was joe's juicing some aptasia i gave them a squirt and it wiped out a big strip right through the middle of the patch
Old 01-21-2009, 05:18 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Couple potential solutions here. Unfortunately there is no real silver bullet.

1. Scrape them off manually.
2. Cover them with epoxy.
3. Blowtorch (no, seriously. It's something I was considering myself)
4. Pressure washer.
5. Used to have them all over the place, One day I noticed I had hardly any in my 75g, but still had them in other tanks. After researching it a little, found that Centropyge angels can sometimes pick at them. I have a potter's angel. That said, I've never noticed her picking at hydroids specifically, but I thought it interesting to note that all of a sudden I didn't have as many in the tank she's in. Could be coincidence, but still noteworthy.

Good luck. In the grand scheme of things there are worse things to get but they're still quite annoying to look at especially when they spread all over the place.
You've stumped me, what is worse than hydroids? I've had flat worms, red bugs, aptasia, bubble algae, hair algae, cyano, big ugly crabs, ick, and probably a few other things plus invasive softies like anthelia and GSP but I cant think of anything worse than hydroids. Blow torch them is my advice.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Oh I agree, they're up there but I still think they are not the "worst" thing that can happen to a tank. They won't cause you a tank full of dead fish inside of an hour just because you annoyed them, for example. (Hmmmm, maybe I should add "as far as I know, anyhow" ... just in case!!)
Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by i have crabs View Post
i have a few small patches that haven't caused any problems but when i was joe's juicing some aptasia i gave them a squirt and it wiped out a big strip right through the middle of the patch
They'll be back.
I have had some success with taking the piece of rock out and running HOT water (boiled R/O, but I don;t see why tapwater wouldn't work as well) over the affected area.

Every time I kalk, the hydroids come back like raffis cat.
Been 2 weeks since I tried the boiling water method and they have not returned as of yet.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 PM

freddy is on a distinguished road
Default brush'em

I had a major hydoid popullation,used an old tooth brush just kept brushing them off the rock every time they appeared,soon it was less and less,havn't had any for over 3 months.Worked for me,could work for you.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Mike Olson is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the ideas. i have tried to brush them away on a regular basis and they kept coming back...I removed the rock and scrubbed with a stainless brush-they came back! Right now I have all my rock in my sump with no light...they appear to have receded-just not sure they are gone! I put a link on my original message that shows them-not a great pic, but I will try to find a better one.
180g tank(6x2x2) w/170lbs LR, 2-250W 1-400W Halides, 2-3ft t5 Actinics,H&S 1260 200 Skimmer, 1-Tunze 6000stream w/controller, 1-6060stream, 70g sump, 30g refugium Neptune controller, Sequence Hammerhead inline return, Lifeguard 25W UV, 1-Tunze osmolator, 1-Tunze wavebox, 1/4Hp Pacific Coast chiller, MarineTech calcium reactor