Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 AM

Amadod2 is on a distinguished road
Default almost giving up on the hobby

So i have reached a point in this hobby where i have no idea what to do next! its just one problem after the next and the worst part is i cant seem to get a hold of the problem then a new one comes out. i was having a phosphate issue, so i decided to do more water changes and invest in a brs rodi unit, after two months of water changes my phosphate went from .25 to .15ppm i couldn't really figure it out until i tested my rodi water and it was .15ppm, so i called BRS and they told me it was the water in my are wasnt good, i live in surrey/langley area so that waster isnt that bad. their solution was from me to add gfo to my rodi water storage container and get a TDS meter for my rodi unit.
im just frustrated as it seems im losing corals every week, cant get my phosphates in check and im being told that theres nothing really that can even measure the phosphates in rodi water.

my tank:
cal 450
alk 8.5
mg 1400
phosphates with hanna checker .15ppm-.25ppm

if anyone has any tips im more then willing to hear them out, please and thank you!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:34 AM

Slyguy00 is on a distinguished road

What about nitrates,nitrites, ammonia, ph and salinity?? have you tested these? If not I would suggest starting there. Also what do you have for lighting and flow? More info about your tank would help us all answer ur questions better.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 AM

0 nitrates,0 nitrites,0 ammonia, ?ph and 1.25salinity last time i checked all of these was a month or two ago

i have a 6 bulb tek t5 fixture and a jabao wp40, a tunze thats the same size, as i cant remember the model number and a small korelia

a vertex doser, a swc 160 protein skimmer, and im running rowaphos in a phosban reactor at a "simmer"

i have no algae blooms
Old 03-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

You say that " you can't seem to get a hold of the problem " yet you haven't checked ammonia , nitrites , nitrates , ph or salinity for a month or two? I would at least start there , so you can rule out any of those parameters.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Spyd is on a distinguished road

BRS is full of it if they are saying it's your water in the area... There is no way you should be getting anything more than 0.00ppm through your RO/DI unit. I live near Kitchener, ON and we pull water from the Grand River that is nasty as can be and I still get 0.00ppm from my Vertex unit.

Test your tap water for PO4. A lot of regions have very little PO4 actually in your water source. The PO4 comes from bioload and feeding. Are you over feeding your tank? How often and what do you feed your fish?

How many fish do you have and what size is your tank? Do you rinse your mysis, etc before feeding it to your fish?

How often do you replace your rowaphos and how much do you use at one time? It looks like you are making progress from reducing PO4 down to .15. I would suggest replacing GFO once a month for the time being.

Finally, what skimmer are you using? Before water changes, I would consider blowing off your rocks with a turkey baster as well to get out any trapped dietritus. How often are you changing out water and what percent of water volume are you roughly changing out?

HTH
Old 03-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

You should definitely have a TDS meter and test your RODI output (should be 0), and also your RO (before DI) if you can. I have an inline meter on my unit that does both.

But yes, you need to get your P04 down if you want to have good SPS growth. Surprised you're not having any algae problems?

Yup, it's a challenge, and that is also part of the fun with this hobby. You'll figure it out, I'm sure.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:49 PM

I have a 75g the rowaphos is changed monthly and I use about two full table spoons. I been only checking phosphates as that's the problem I been having. The tap water test for phosphates with the Hanna checker was .25ppm. What I'm trying to do is get my top off water and water change water to 0ppm. Because as of now I'm just adding phosphates into the tank
Old 03-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Two tablespoons seems like way too little if you're asking it to last a month. Hang in there it's too rewarding a hobby 25% of the time to let the 75% of heartbreak and frustration get you down lol.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 PM

im just baffled on why my rodi unit isnt removing all the phosphates?!?!? does something need to be changed? should i add two more canisters one with gfo and another with di??? what everyones thoughts? i live in the gvrd the water shouldnt be that bad!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM

straightrazorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to straightrazorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadod2 View Post
I have a 75g the rowaphos is changed monthly and I use about two full table spoons. I been only checking phosphates as that's the problem I been having. The tap water test for phosphates with the Hanna checker was .25ppm. What I'm trying to do is get my top off water and water change water to 0ppm. Because as of now I'm just adding phosphates into the tank
I live across the river from you; if you are on GVRD water, there's no way your PO4 is 0.25. But even if it was, once you put it through a RODI unit it should be 0.