Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 PM

philg3 is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Overflow Design Help!!(Coast2coast Beananimal) 3D design pics!

So usually i just lurk on the Forums, but i just picked up a new tank and am looking for some input on my overflow design. I've done a lot of reading and since im going to drill this tank no matter what, I want to try to do it right the first time.

Tank is a 58 gallon Oceanic 36X18X22. I'm already running a 20 gallon 3 chamber Melev style center return sump on my current tank that I plan on transfering over.

My plan is an interior coast to coast weir with Two 1" Diameter Holes in the back glass that channel water into an external C2C with a Beananimal style overflow. Dimensions on the interior weir are 30''X2"X2" and the exterior box is 30"X3"X3". The overflow holes will be 1" diameter as well. The interior Weir is 1/4" from the rim of the tank.

Attachment 7894

Attachment 7895

Attachment 7896

On either side of the overflow boxes will be 2 more 1" holes for the return. I am currently running a Sedra 7000 for return and with around 4ft. of head pressure i think they pump around 500 gph. This may need to be upgraded, if so i may drill the sump as well for an external pump. (might do that anyways)

I feel like the beananimal with an external box is the most failsafe and quiet design out there, and the interior weir I have planned is so i can avoid drilling a long horizontal hole in the top edge of my tank (freaks me out a little, circles are much simpler to drill.)

Attachment 7898

Here is the Beananimal style overflow

Attachment 7899

Here you can see the horizontal drilling i was talking about.

The interior weir is slanted with the bottom only 1/2" from the tank wall. Im hoping this will reduce the footprint inside the tank, and now that i think of it i could probably go shorter at the top of the weir as well (2" to maybe 1.5").

I want to know what people think of this idea, since I feel like i've kind of improvised a little and this is going to be my first drilled tank. I have a good cheap glass shop that i know can build me these two overflows (probably 1/8" thick?), and lots of aquarium silicone from doing the baffles in the sump.

The Sedra should pump 500 gph back up, and even though i drilled 1" holes in the external box, i plan on using 3/4" pipe which i believe runs around 500gph with a full siphon (? dont ask me where i read that, like i said i've been up late cruising forums for the last week, trying to gather as much info as possible.)

So lets hear from some experts,
-Is this totally unnecessary?
-Does anyone have experience with drilling horizontally? (i've provided a pic of another beananimal with an external overflow and the horizontal drilling so people can see what im talking about.)
-What about the math when it comes to dialing in the flow on this bad boy, ie. height of the weir, diameter of the pipes, matching the return etc etc.
My calculations arent really Math, more like educated guesswork, and someone that actually knows would help.

I plan on dropping an vortech MP10 in there as well, so my in tank flow shouldnt be a problem. Mostly softies anyways. I considered doing a closed loop, but that just seems unnecessary.

other equipment is probably gonna be an SWC 120 or 160 cone skimmer to replace the SWC mini hot hang on back skimmer im running now, and two Phosban 150's running Phosban and carbon. LR and Chaeto in the fuge.

Right now the back pane is painted blue, but ill probably scrape it and repaint it black, and ill use black glass on the interior overflow as well.

lol i dont know what else to tell you guys, hopefully somebody has some light to shed on my project. Sorry for the Imperial measurements, I'm a Vancouverite but this hobby seems to function in imperial unless your ordering from europe.

Thanks in advance any input and criticism (more important) is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by philg3; 08-16-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Tags
beananimal, c2c, diy, drill, overflow