Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 PM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I'd be more concerned about the 2" bulkhead in a 5" overflow, minus the glass that's probably 4.5", OD of bulkhead = 3.875 so clearance on each side is only 5/16" provided it's perfectly centered and not including the clearance needed for the silicone bead. Not something I would attempt but then again those concept guys are crazy in a good way
smart man lol should read 6" not 5:P
Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the suggestions. Denny I will respond on my build thread
Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 AM

zum14 is on a distinguished road

Personal preference is external. I like the bean animal but there's a science to the depth of the overflow box and the piping size and where you run the plumbing. My one attempt was a full coast to coast external. It was about 5" deep but didnt run a ton of flow through it. I was able to tune it so the water ran about 1" below the box height. This resulted in a quiet overflow. My current overflow is a 12" deep internal box and the water is running about 2" below the box height. The way I got this tank I had to run the plumbing at the top of the tank and elbow it down to the bottom of the box so unfortunately the water hits the piping and makes quite a bit of noise. It's 1-1/2" plumbing and running about 3000gph. The issue is if you close the gate valve a bit to raise the water height so its quieter it starts running more water down the balance pipe and that makes more noise. Its not just drill and go.

"Nah, unless they got any big, giant robot camels I think were ok."

"Ah.....Jim.......robot camels"
Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 AM

Well after a discussion with my wife I have to settle with an internal overflow. I don't get anymore space in the house for my tank.
It's her house to and she wins this one. It would push my tank out a further 11". I have alot of confidence in Dave and Denny at Concepts and Paul from OC and i'm sure the pros wont stear me wrong.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

My external overflow on my 400g was no more than 6" out from the tank and I had 1.5" bulkheads inside it. I didn't read the entire thread but 11" seems excessive no?

My current overflow is internal. The box is only about 4" in length from the back of the tank and it only goes down about 8" I believe so doesn't affect where fish swim too bad. Then my pipes exit the back of the tank and 90 down so you have a thin box in the tank and the tank only stick out from the wall the depth of a 90 fitting.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
I didn't read the entire thread but 11" seems excessive no?

I should have explained better. My tank right now is 29" wide and 5 1/2" away from the wall. If I went with the 6" external overflow which would be ideal, my tank would stick out 6" more so a total of 11" from the wall.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
I should have explained better. My tank right now is 29" wide and 5 1/2" away from the wall. If I went with the 6" external overflow which would be ideal, my tank would stick out 6" more so a total of 11" from the wall.
That sounds to me like you are wanting your overflow box itself to be 5 inches away from the wall. That seems excessive. Does your overflow box need to be that far away from the wall? All your plumbing runs down from your overflow box, not out the back of your overflow box doesn't it?
Old 10-22-2013, 04:24 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

also, why is your overflow box so wide? Is there a specific reason for such a wide overflow box? There seems like a lot of space in there to collect detritus. If you plan to cover your overflow with grates I would imagine that much overflow is going to be noisy. Imagine dozens of tiny waterfalls splashing into your overflow box. If you don't plan to cover it, imagine fishing out fish from your overflow box often Anyway, it seems to me like you could easily get away with an overflow 1/3 that size.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
That sounds to me like you are wanting your overflow box itself to be 5 inches away from the wall. That seems excessive. Does your overflow box need to be that far away from the wall? All your plumbing runs down from your overflow box, not out the back of your overflow box doesn't it?
Well the new tank won't have to be as my Vortechs will not be on the back of the new tank which they are now. With the curved glass they can't be put on the side. But there is a power outlet right in the middle of that space. I can barely reach it now and this tank is only 57" long. But you just now got me thinking about getting a large enough hole to be made by the cabinet makers so I can access it through the back of the stand. Thanks. So 2" from the wall should be good enough? It would actually be better, than I wouldn't have to move my hanger for lights. They're lighting up my overflow now.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:32 PM

I'm just listening to the tank builders. I'd prefer it to be not as wide for more tank space. I think it has to do with bulkheads. I'm also getting pieces of glass or acrylic attached to the back wall to act as a shelf to place a black acrylic cover over the overflow.