Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 PM

Ryan_Lap is on a distinguished road
Default Whats going on....

Can I have too many pods that some of my zoa clusters are becoming irritated and not opening? I looked tonight with a flashlight and noticed tonnes of pods scattering around in the zoas. Its really only 2 groups of zoas hat arnt acting right and all others seam fine. Both zoas acting up have been in the tank 1.5 months + and have been growing, ect. Anyone have any ideas LMK. Thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 04:57 PM

The-new-guy is on a distinguished road

are they being bothered during the day by pods as well? or just at night? I can see them being closed at night ( no light and creatures crawling all over you would make you close up as well ). The only time I have heard of pods bothering a zoa is when they are dead or have parts of them that are dead or on their way out.

What other type of livestock do you have in the tank?
Old 11-15-2008, 07:30 PM

The zoas are closed during the day. The one colony is completely gone now and the other appears to be shrinking. Livestock is 2 clowns, 2 bangaiis, 1 Powder Brown, Lawnmower blenny, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, various cleaner crabs and snails.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:01 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

my nano contest tank has an insane amount of pods and i have never seen them bother anything. not at night or during the day.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM

Yah its weird. They just appear to be melting. Ive had zoas melt before but that usually happens within a week of first introducing them to the tank, not over 6 weeks or so.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:04 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Cause and effect... I would guess it isn't the pods bothering the zoas...it is the dying zoas attracting the pods. Something else is going on.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 PM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your zoas are dying and the pods are coming in to clean up the mess.

You might want to check your tank parameters to see if things are out of whack before any other corals are affected. Also look for zoa eating nudis and their eggs.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 11-15-2008, 08:09 PM

I have over 25+ diff types of zoas and only 2 clusters are acting up....I never thought about the pods cleaning up the dead zoas, makes sense. I recently checked the parameters ( a few days ago), everything appeared to be fine. Hopefully it turns around, I guess sometimes zoas just act up.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:11 PM

Anyone have a micro pic up zoa eating nudis?
Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

They're small, blend to the color of the Zoa and lay many many eggs....this is NOT my picture...and I didn't see a copyright on it...just the photographers logo...so hope I haven't done anything wrong?

Last edited by Chaloupa; 11-15-2008 at 08:23 PM.