Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-22-2008, 04:03 PM

gbeef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gbeef
Default Reef expoxy disaster

Yesterday i purcahse a hammer coral and and mounted it an hour after recivcing it with Reef expoxy disaster. After mounting it i noticed the tank getting really cloudy. I guess the epoxy was dissloving 2 hour later my fish started to float on the bottom of the TANK But the corals were open?.. and the tank was still cloudy.

Worry my tank would crash i did a 40% water change and added carbon and removed all the expoxy that was added. This morning my tank was clear but my fish

wrass
blenny
clown

were either laying on there side in the tank or not moving at all. has anyone had this happen before and do you think my lifestock will survive?

My clown this morning was swimming be looked like HELL.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've used an entire stick of epoxy without issues. I use the stuff from J&L in the green package. If you used aquarium epoxy, I'd find it hard to believe it killed fish, unless you used a few pounds!!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

I rememeber a friend of mine used some on his aquapod (the milliputty kind) with the same results.
He followed the instructions to the letter (even rinsed the putty to ensure most of the crap was off before putting it into his tank.

It was only a 12 gallon tank, but after it happened we checked at OA and JL and no one there had anything different than aquattros comments to share.

After some checking online, we found a few cases where this exact thing HAD occured.
I don't know how big your tank is, but even a little of this stuff breaking down in a small system can blanket the water and starve everything for oxygen, or at least thats what it looked like was happening as snails couldnt grip glass like it was all coated in a slime and fish were trying to get to the top of the tank like they were oxygen starved.

I was scared off of the frag glue after that indcident as nowhere did the instructions say there was a tank size limit for the use of the glue and my friend was very dilligent in following the instructions and using as little of the product in the first place as possible.

Rest assured, this stuff can kill fish in the right situation and you don't have to use pounds of it and while I use it on my largetr system now, I would never use it in a 20 gallon or under system ever.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:36 PM

The-new-guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatigot View Post
I rememeber a friend of mine used some on his aquapod (the milliputty kind) with the same results.
He followed the instructions to the letter (even rinsed the putty to ensure most of the crap was off before putting it into his tank.

It was only a 12 gallon tank, but after it happened we checked at OA and JL and no one there had anything different than aquattros comments to share.

After some checking online, we found a few cases where this exact thing HAD occured.
I don't know how big your tank is, but even a little of this stuff breaking down in a small system can blanket the water and starve everything for oxygen, or at least thats what it looked like was happening as snails couldnt grip glass like it was all coated in a slime and fish were trying to get to the top of the tank like they were oxygen starved.

I was scared off of the frag glue after that indcident as nowhere did the instructions say there was a tank size limit for the use of the glue and my friend was very dilligent in following the instructions and using as little of the product in the first place as possible.

Rest assured, this stuff can kill fish in the right situation and you don't have to use pounds of it and while I use it on my largetr system now, I would never use it in a 20 gallon or under system ever.

+1
Old 09-22-2008, 04:41 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I've used an entire stick of epoxy without issues. I use the stuff from J&L in the green package. If you used aquarium epoxy, I'd find it hard to believe it killed fish, unless you used a few pounds!!
I've used this stuff to, and I never have had any problems. However I have only used it in 120g+ sized tanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 PM

gbeef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to gbeef

my system is a 14GAL
and ur description sounds bang on. ACK time to get an airstone. I hope my snail dont die. Ill post the brand name of the epoxy later today. It was a purple and green mix.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:10 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

AquaScape Construction Epoxy?

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

his was either the tunze or the milliputty version.
I don't know if the kind aquattro is talking about is the same as you don't need to mix 2 diff puttys to use them reef epoxy in the green tube.

Maybe this issue is only for the kind you need to mix together....
Old 09-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

This is the stuff I use

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=mc-hfast
Old 09-22-2008, 05:33 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Aquascape is the kind you mix together too, I've been using it in my nano will no ill affects.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988