Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Edmonton

Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I have a friend in Powell River who built an insulated wooden box outside for his sump and water change system. Since it's well insulated, its had never had any temperature issues, (neither too hot nor too cold). Something like this would be ideal for use in your garage or outdoor space. He stained the wooden box so it looks nice and not ghetto.

Anthony
Old 01-07-2017, 12:01 PM

lyall12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhasan View Post
You've given me something to think about and work with here.

Garage is insulated.

It is in use. I park my car inside and the snow is gone by the morning.

After reading your post I paid attention to the floor and the water is not frozen or icy.

What I've noticed is that.. I have a bottle of Olive oil that seems frozen or atleast by the looks of it.. maybe its just curdy now. The pop cans don't freeze at all but they are chilled to the maxx.

I'm thinking If I insulate the water containers and build a small insulated cabinet for the RO/DI I may be able to get away in the -30 plus weather.

If the snow/ice is melting off your car over night, you're all set I think.

I've got cases of water, juice, etc out there. And it never freezes, even when near the main door. Makes a great beer fridge.

You can probably get away with storing without freezing. Especially if you add a small pump for movement.

The water will likely be near freezing during the winter. It would take a bit of effort to get it up to temp for water changes, but doable if you bring what you need inside first.

If you're putting the ro/di unit in the garage you'll definitely want to insulate it. The ro membrane is less efficient at colder temperatures. I lose at least 10%-15% production with the rodi in the house just from the change in incoming water temp in the winter. I know some people run the water line through a sort of heat exchanger before the rodi in the winter, or carefully tie in hot water as well.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:05 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

One of my clients has the same sort of setup, and buckets of water freeze in there even when they're up against the house wall when it's about -25 even though the snow melts off the cars.

Using a cooler is a good idea though, and may be a good solution.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 01-07-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 AM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Another option that we use around dredges and barges is aerators for de-icing. They use a lot less energy than heaters. A good size air pump and some ait stones might work as well.

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.