Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 04-09-2012, 03:58 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road
Default Apex Controller Advice

I'm working on setting up my new Apex unit and am curious about a few things like:

One outlet per heater or one outlet for all?

15A circuit for each Energy Bar?

Separate outlets for each reactor and skimmer?

Any other hints?

I have 2 Energy Bar 8s for under the DT and 1 Energy Bar 4 for my mixing area. I need to find a 50 foot USB cable for between these areas.

The EB4 will power a Mag 12 pump for mixing/transferring, a heater, and a Vertek 100 GPD RO/DI unit. I'm hoping to add a temp probe and salinity probe here later.

The 2 EB8s should be enough to run everything under the DT and lights. A pH probe, temp probe, and conductivity probe will be in the sump.

I will wire up my own cable as a breakout box.

Let me know what ideas you might have on switching things up.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:40 AM

Snufflupagus is on a distinguished road

I use a power bar to plug my two heaters into and then plug it into one outlet on the apex.
I also use a power bar to plug in three reactors and then plug that power bar into the apex, one outlet.
I have my skimmer on it's own outlet, but you could easily use it on the same power bar as the reactors.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmak View Post
I'm working on setting up my new Apex unit and am curious about a few things like:

One outlet per heater or one outlet for all?

15A circuit for each Energy Bar?

Separate outlets for each reactor and skimmer?

Any other hints?

I have 2 Energy Bar 8s for under the DT and 1 Energy Bar 4 for my mixing area. I need to find a 50 foot USB cable for between these areas.

The EB4 will power a Mag 12 pump for mixing/transferring, a heater, and a Vertek 100 GPD RO/DI unit. I'm hoping to add a temp probe and salinity probe here later.

The 2 EB8s should be enough to run everything under the DT and lights. A pH probe, temp probe, and conductivity probe will be in the sump.

I will wire up my own cable as a breakout box.

Let me know what ideas you might have on switching things up.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 AM

Madmak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufflupagus View Post

Hope this helps.
Thanks, it does.

There are almost an infinite number of ways to set these up by the looks of it. I'm hoping to gather some general suggestions and to see how others use them.

My version of an ATO is a simple float valve in my sump and a float switch/switched outlet on my RO/DI for safety, different than most.