Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-16-2009, 04:31 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I appreciate your insight and advice. Personally, I would not consider the long tentacled, large polyped typical Goniopora as they definately are "impossible" to keep long term, but these short tentacled, small polyped Gonioporas are rumoured to have much better long term survival rates. How long have you had yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
I have one. At the time I purchased it, it looked like 'pin-cushion' polyps as it was not extended.
Had I known it was a goniopora I would not have bought it as it is impossible to keep long term.
I studied up on gonis as much as I could and found that it needed massive amounts of phytoplankton and other tiny foods.
It is surviving and even growing but I target feed it 2-3 times a day.
They say even with the best of care they will only last months and go downhill very slowly.
I would not consider one if I were you.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:33 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

I have had mine for one year.
I do not know whether these are easier than the large polyped types.

Last edited by naesco; 03-16-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 AM

ocean diver is on a distinguished road

Hey PM me with how much he wants for the nice red Goniopora you "found", maybe I could buy a frag of it from you?

Mark
Old 03-16-2009, 04:44 AM

Mark: Bayside corals has two of these red gonioporas, and some bright green ones too. I don't know if you noticed he fragged the green one up? If I do decide to get one I don't think I will be fragging it anytime soon, as I like to have bigger colonies. Oh, and my tanks won't be here in Saskatoon for probably a couple months yet. I will take whatever corals I buy tomorrow back to Kelowna with me on Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
I have had mine for one year.
I do not know whether these are easier than the large polyped types.
I would say one year is the "long term" mark in my opinion as far as difficult to keep corals go. Does it grow well? Is it well colored? 2-3 times a day target feeding is pretty aggressive...I imagine if yours is not top notch with a regime like that, there is little hope!

All my research points towards the smaller polyped Gonioporas having better survival rates than their large polyped "cousins", but I am yet to be convinced.

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 03-16-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

You need to be careful as I understand they ship poorly. When I received it it did nothing for about 10 days and than opened up.
I would say the best shape it was in was about 5 months ago. Really colourful and perfect looking. Right now it is so so but not declining. I think it all has to do with feeding once the current and the lighting suits them.
I am not recommending anyone get them though but simply answering your questions.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:05 PM

BC Mosaic is on a distinguished road

I have the same goniopora as Corpusse and I've had it about 10 months or so (3 months after end of cycle). Its doing fine and in MHO looks much nicer than the short encrusting ones, especially under actinics or just moon lights. The coral base glows like magna. Simply gorgeous!

What constitutes "hard to keep"?
I would not discourage anyone from getting one of these. Just my opinion based on my experience.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:10 PM

michael from england is on a distinguished road

ive got a green goniopora, it was a small frag when i bought it 6-7 months ago, maybe a little longer actually, its now a good foot across and 8-9 inches high when its fully out.

its not red but i think they basically have the same needs, heres a pic when its 75% out

MIKE

92 us gallon corner tank, with 115-125 pounds of live figi rock, 2 koralia 2s, 1 koralia 1, 2 tunze 6025s, 1 maxi-jet 1200, 13.5 gallon custom sump, phosban reactor,18 mixed corals, 3 fish and 2 handfuls of cuc, moving 40x the tank volume in flow

my tank details here http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/blog.php?b=18
Old 03-16-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Mosaic View Post
I have the same goniopora as Corpusse and I've had it about 10 months or so (3 months after end of cycle). Its doing fine and in MHO looks much nicer than the short encrusting ones, especially under actinics or just moon lights. The coral base glows like magna. Simply gorgeous!

What constitutes "hard to keep"?
I would not discourage anyone from getting one of these. Just my opinion based on my experience.
The typical Goniporas with the large tentacles and large polyps (like yours) come from turbid lagoons where there is a huge amount of nutrients in the water. These Gonioporas are notoriously difficult if not impossible to keep long term (like a few other corals like non-photosynthetic gorgonians) as they require such a large amount of food that isn't normally available in our tanks because of protein skimming. There are not many foods on the market that are the right particle size Goniopora (unlike a few years ago), but one often ends up polluting his tank trying to feed these corals enough.

The short tentacled, small polyped Goniopora statchburyi and burgosi (in particular) both come from waters that are much less turbid, and less nutrient laden, so are supposedly much easier to care for as they apparently are not as nutrient demanding as their cousins.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 PM

RuGlu6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
I appreciate your insight and advice. Personally, I would not consider the long tentacled, large polyped typical Goniopora as they definately are "impossible" to keep long term, but these short tentacled, small polyped Gonioporas are rumoured to have much better long term survival rates. How long have you had yours?
My red gonioporah has tentacles at least 2.5 inch some times 3 inch.
Long enough for Percula clown to host in it.
I only feed once a day and i do not target feed anything in my tank.
May be it feeds on clowns excrement i don't know LOL.
Considering that it produced two offspings i think its doing well .

Last edited by RuGlu6; 03-16-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
My red gonioporah has tentacles at least 2.5 inch some times 3 inch.
Long enough for Percula clown to host in it.
I only feed once a day and i do not target feed anything in my tank.
May be it feeds on clowns excrement i don't know LOL.
Considering that it produced two offspings i think its doing well .
Your Goniopora is not either of the species I am referring to, but I am still interested how long you have had yours?

SPS fanatic.