Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Tagging along for the ride! Looks to be an interesting build.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

Comming along nicely.Also looking forward to tong "build".
Old 07-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Greenmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Tagging along for the ride! Looks to be an interesting build.
Welcome aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillegom View Post
Comming along nicely.Also looking forward to tong "build".
I will try to make it as detailed as I can.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I think I would have built it the other way (39" wide and 30" tall) instead. I hate the feeling of wet armpits

It is sweet that your wife & kids like the idea of a huge sw tank. My wife likes the hobby too (although for me its more of an obsession) and my 2 years old daughter loves fish & corals. She can already name many of the species in the tanks.

Looking forward to more progress reports.

Anthony
Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

It makes a huge difference if the family is enthusiastic about it. I always gotta chuckle with my wife... when it's time to pick out corals or other inhabitants it's OUR tank! When it's time to do waterchanges or any other work it becomes MY tank
Old 07-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic View Post
I think I would have built it the other way (39" wide and 30" tall) instead. I hate the feeling of wet armpits

It is sweet that your wife & kids like the idea of a huge sw tank. My wife likes the hobby too (although for me its more of an obsession) and my 2 years old daughter loves fish & corals. She can already name many of the species in the tanks.

Looking forward to more progress reports.

Anthony
Space was the biggest reason (Tank would have been way cheaper to go in some other dimension)... my wife didn't want me to go the whole 8' (she wanted to put plants on either side since it was where she had plants before I got the tank) Also we didn't want the tank protruding into the room. So up was my only option... I went as big as I could with the space I was aloud to fill. The second reason (didn't have as much weight) is fish tend to like to inhabit one of three "main" "zones" in the ocean. At the top closer to the surface in the middle around overhangs and such, and at the bottom in or on the sand. Most tanks tend to have only two "zones" top and bottom. I'm hoping that with my height I can get that third "zone" and enable me to have a more dense population in my tank.
I don't plan on diving in very much. I hope that my CUC will take care of most of the bottom of the tank... I also plan on making sure things are secure. One last plan is to have some sort of tongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
It makes a huge difference if the family is enthusiastic about it. I always gotta chuckle with my wife... when it's time to pick out corals or other inhabitants it's OUR tank! When it's time to do waterchanges or any other work it becomes MY tank
HAHA... Ya my wife not so enthusiastic... it's more like the better of two evils... I was in a motorcycle accident and she said she didn't want me to get a new bike but I could spend the payout money on whatever I wanted... so we took a trip and I got the fish tank
Old 07-07-2010, 03:57 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

i cant see trading my fatboy for a bigger tank i guess ill have to sneak one into the basement somehow lol
Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton newbie View Post
i cant see trading my fatboy for a bigger tank i guess ill have to sneak one into the basement somehow lol
My bike was totaled. She wouldn't have let me just sell the bike and set up a fish tank because the value of the bike was no where near what I would need for a tank. I sold the bike and my knee for the set up

oh and good luck sneaking a tank like this inside... over 1000lbs
Old 07-07-2010, 04:17 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

lol i have an 8 foot 300 gal out in the garage but too scratched up to even bother bringing it inside lol
Old 07-07-2010, 04:24 AM

sean2477 is on a distinguished road

WOW....Awsome build....definately tagging along to this one.