Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlily View Post
Did testing on the water this morning and here's my results:

Hagen test kit:
Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0

Seachem test kit:
Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 (did reference test: 10)

Same results as Wednesday morning. Wednesday night I added a couple of rocks from an existing tank with many blue mushrooms, 2 blue clove polyps and a devils hand. Had to add the corals, as I needed the rock and couldn't remove the corals. Also threw in a little filter pad I had stuck in the back of the 50 gal to collect bacteria for the past 2 months. The corals are thriving, in fact the devils hand has never looked so good.

Thursday morning I threw in half a tablespoon of frozen mysis shrimp in hopes to get a cycle going. Do you think that I'm going to see any sort of a cycle here?

Also know it's a ways off, but here is my fish wish list (in the order I plan on putting them in, 4 - 6 weeks apart). Comments on this list are always welcome.

2. Pajama Cardinalfish
3. Barletts Anthias

6. Yellow Tang
I would add like a Kole tang or a a scopas tang
get a yellow wrasse or a pair of leopard wrasses
Old 12-13-2008, 07:21 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Your tank build is looking great, nice aquascaping.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM

rocketlily is on a distinguished road

Tank seems to be cycling nicely. I don't think I am going to see any spikes due to using rocks that were cooked as well as rocks transferred from another tank. Exposure to the air during the transfer was less than 1 min.

I am now having my first algae bloom. I don't think I've had this particular one in any of the other tanks. The sand on the bottom is starting to look like a freshly planted lawn. I don't see any of this on the rocks, only the sand. Single pieces of algae about 1/4" high.

I was thinking that it might be time to add some CUC just for the sand. I have other snails (Turbo, etc) that will do a great job on the rocks. The open sand bed I have is approx 20" x 8" with other smaller patches of sand. The sand bed is 2" deep.

Any suggestions on what to add to help keep the sand turned over and clean?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

That's pretty nice setup.....
Old 12-17-2008, 03:56 PM

debbaDEEra is on a distinguished road

The tank looks beautiful. Great job. Fish suggestions: Potter's Angel. We had a flame angel, my son loved the color and the fish was a total jerk. Picked at the corals, chased other fish, nipped at the snails. We took him back and got the potter's and now all is happy.
1 potter's angel
1 firefish
1 royal gramma
1 green chromis
2 cleaner shrimp and 3 sexys
various snails and crabs

cute kids
cute dog
Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM

argan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to argan

Quote:
Any suggestions on what to add to help keep the sand turned over and clean?
Tiger Tail cucumbers are great, and Orange Spotted Sleeper Gobies are hard workers, as shown Here On Untamed's build thread
Old 12-18-2008, 02:02 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by argan View Post
Tiger Tail cucumbers are great, and Orange Spotted Sleeper Gobies are hard workers, as shown Here On Untamed's build thread
I agree Diamond gobies are great for moving the sand. Not so great though, if you have a lot of corals or clams on the substrate. They can be quite messy when they sift. Sand sifting star, once the tank matures a bit? Nassarius snails also do a pretty good job stirring things up.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 PM

I don't really want to add any fish at this time so I think I add half a dozen Nassarius snails tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:48 AM

I am currently using 2 Koralia 4 powerheads and will be adding another Koralia 1. I have been considering replacing these with the Red Sea WaveMaster Pro / Maxijet Powerhead Package - Deluxe with 4-MaxiJet 1200 Powerheads. However, in doing a little research on these I have seen alot of them used for sale on other forums. Is there something wrong with them that people don't want them. Is anyone using this wavemaker or is there something else I should be considering.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 AM

Tank has now been set up and running for 2 months. Finally added my 1st finned inhabitant, a Pyjama Cardinal. He's been in QT for the past 2 1/2 weeks and yesterday made it into the big tank.

I'm really having trouble getting a decent shot of anything in the tank with only the actinics on. I have no idea what settings to put the camera (Sony A350) on. When I shoot in Auto, all pictures are too blue. Any help with the settings of the camera would be very much appreciated.