Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 10-30-2009, 02:34 PM

spikehs is on a distinguished road
Default 15g acrylic sps cube

Might be a bit early to start a thread on this but why not. My goal is to keep things very simple and equipment to a minimum. Here are the specs so far:

Tank:
16x16x14 acrylic cube made by macilwu on ebay.
- 4x4 overflow
- 1 return drilled in the center of the tank.

Lighting:
150w viper MH, bulb is 14k. Since the tank might get kinda hot with that I purchased two solar powered fans off of ebay for $10, to be powered by the MH. Not sure if they'll work as well as I hope, but they were cheap enough to experiment with.

Filtration and Flow:
One Rena XP3 will provide flow and filtration for the tank. Its rated at 330gph, filled with media I was thinking it'd provide about 200gph? That should turn my tank over roughly once every 5 minutes. It will be plumbed from the overflow, and then return through the hole in the center of the tank. In the filter I will have carbon/phosphate remover / etc, to help keep the water really polished and clear.

Top Off:
Will have a reeffanatic auto top off hooked up to a 10g reservoir of kalk.

Controller:
RK2. I'm going to have the auto top off hooked up to a timer here, set to the bare minimum needed to top off the tank. This way if BOTH float switches fail, the tank wont overflow as the timer will cut off. It'll take some experimentation as to how long to keep it on.

Rock: Got all my rock from bulkreefsupply, will not have any live rock. Going for a minimalist approach, with a small island in the center (covering the return from the filter).

SPS: I'm going to use just frags, and keep it to a minimum (3 or 4) so they can grow out nice and big.

Fish: Zero idea at this point, but I want to keep the number low and to hardier types.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

If that solar panel doesn't work out for you and you're up for trying something a little different you could power a small fan with the heat generated by the halide. It's called thermoelectric and all you need is a Peltier plate which you'll mount to a hot spot on your light fixture and it will generate a small amount of electricity, should be enough to power a small computer fan. The whole system will probably be smaller and less noticeable.

A Peltier plate looks like this:

You may need a heat sink on the one side to increase the heat flow through the plate.

Last edited by sphelps; 10-30-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:55 AM

interesting... the viper MH does throw off a lot of heat, i wonder how well this would work? Could I wire it directly to a computer fan, or would I need something in-between, other than a heat sink?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:02 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikehs View Post
interesting... the viper MH does throw off a lot of heat, i wonder how well this would work? Could I wire it directly to a computer fan, or would I need something in-between, other than a heat sink?
Should be able to wire it right to the fan.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 AM

Some pics of the construction, pics aren't the greatest quality. Should be here end of next week.. so two weeks from final order to delivery, not bad. He included an overflow cover, no charge.

Last edited by spikehs; 11-11-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

That's a pretty tank for sure. I also like your simple game plan and keeping it to a handful of corals. I have similar plans (frags mostly and keep my colony count down) only scaled up a few notches.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
That's a pretty tank for sure. I also like your simple game plan and keeping it to a handful of corals. I have similar plans (frags mostly and keep my colony count down) only scaled up a few notches.
I just finished your build thread, wow that is one nice tank. Unbelievable finish.

Going to try and keep it to all captive bred/raised fish, not sure if this will work out though.
Tank got shipped off today! < 1 week from finalizing of the design, pretty sweet imo!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:14 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Just noticed your tank is made by an ebay guy. That's different I've never heard of such a thing. Do you use buy it now somehow to purchase his services or what? Thanks for the compliments. What sort of stand do you have planned?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
Just noticed your tank is made by an ebay guy. That's different I've never heard of such a thing. Do you use buy it now somehow to purchase his services or what? Thanks for the compliments. What sort of stand do you have planned?
I think he just recently started selling them on ebay. He's sold to a few people over at RC through his http://www.advanceacrylics.com/ site. The auction was a best offer. I offered him $30 less and he took it. Sweet part is that paid for all my upgrades.

The stand is a biocube28 I think. My furniture basically blocks the whole view so I just needed a stand of the right hight. Fits everything pretty well actually.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 AM
Gold Member

I tracked the guy down and his work looks really tight!

I also noticed if you look at his transaction history...the tanks are selling for much less than his buy it now price. The prices at a glance are amazing!